Feature User Scriptable Side Pane (Main Interface)

Catch-22

Hi Guys,

Not wanting to hijack this thread, I decided to create a new post.

I'm just wanting feedback regarding the possibility of a user scriptable sidepane, that would be the area highlighted in red on this picture:

MTtFh.png

Basically, what I envisage would be allowing people complete control over what goes here, provided it can be represented as 2 strings (a label, and the accompanying data). KoLmafia would ship with the defaults you know and love, but you could tweak that readily and easily to your own desires.

I've attached an XML file (disguised as a txt file) to provide an example of how scripting the sidepane might look, hopefully it makes sense to anyone who is familiar with the basics of XML and ASH scripting. The "label" and "data" tags will be implicitly converted to strings, whereas the "display" section must always evaluate to a boolean expression (may be optional, defaulting to true).

The tag/data would be displayed in the sidepane in the same order that they appear in the XML file (so you could put ML down the bottom, for example), as long as the "display" expression evaluates to true.

What I'm wondering is if people in the community would like to see this become a reality. There's currently an open feature request asking for PvP fites to be added to the sidepane, this would solve that request and any other requests like that in the future.

Attachments

• CustomSidePane.xml.txt
    664 bytes · Views: 52
Last edited:

Bale

Minion
This is skinning not scripting. If this is done, it should include ability to skin the on-click display for the side panel, also. (The pop-up display when you click on that area.)

As for my interest? It's not a bad idea, but my interest in skinning mafia is low.

Theraze

this would solve that request and any other requests like that in the future.

Yes and no... either we wipe out custom options and replace them with defaults every time the defaults change, or we end up with potentially wildly varying mafia experiences based on when the person started to use mafia and what, if anything, they did to their skin.

I'm worried this would end up causing problems like the data overrides but on a much more major scale. Not that it doesn't look nifty, but...

Catch-22

Yes and no... either we wipe out custom options and replace them with defaults every time the defaults change, or we end up with potentially wildly varying mafia experiences based on when the person started to use mafia and what, if anything, they did to their skin.

Well, I will attempt to address both of your concerns. If the user deletes their customized XML, KoLmafia will just generate a new one with the defaults, so if people fubar their sidepanel, they can just delete that file to restore the defaults. Secondly, the idea is that we would barely need to update the defaults once we have the framework in place, much like many things can be accomplished with ASH and relay overrides now. Finally, if people diverging from the defaults is a huge concern, it could be opt-in only (though I would think if someone edits the defaults, they're effectively "opting in", but eh).