typedefs in ash

So: on a wild guess I tried using typedef in ash, and lo and behold! typedefs exist.

However, I am having a little trouble working with them according to my C/C++ typedef background knowledge. I'm not sure if this is a Mafia bug or just my lack of understanding as to how they work in Mafia, so I figured I'd ask around for insights rather than filing a bug report.

Simple example:
Code:
typedef int foo;
foo x = 0;
gives me the error message "Internal error: Cannot assign int to foo"

A slightly different assignment:
Code:
typedef int foo;
foo x;
x = 0;
prints a debug log, which I've attached.

Is there any way to assign a value to a variable of typedef'd type? These seemed reasonable tries, but it's quite possible I'm missing something.

A more complicated example:
Code:
typedef int foo;

record bar
{ foo member; };

bar b;

string [foo] baz;

baz[b.member] = "blah";
gives me the error message "Index for 'baz' has wrong data type (expected foo, got int)"

So even though I can't assign ints to foos, sometimes Mafia thinks that foos are ints anyway. What am I doing wrong here?

If anyone knowledgeable about ash typedefs could help me out, that would be awesome.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20100129.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You found three bugs, which I have fixed in Revision 8035.

Typedefs are a little-used feature which were (mostly) intended to let you alias aggregate types - maps and records. Perhaps I should have tested with aliases for ints, eh? ;)

By all means - use typedefs the way you think you should be able to use them and continue to report bugs if they don't work the way you expect.

zarqon

Oooh this is excellent. I have lots of float[element] in my combat script which I'd wished I could define as a type. Thanks for this, both of you!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Interestingly, those would have worked before; when I implemented it originally, I tested with maps. aqualectrix just found that "simple" types could not be typedef'd reliably.

Well, now it looks like I will have two script writers to shake out bugs in this feature. ;)