Turnip check?

Theraze

I know there's been talk of adventures v. turns spent and all of that, but... do we currently have a command that will give the (estimated, to be sure) turnip cost for the next adventure in a location? Obviously certain choice adventures may throw this off... The bugbear pens have the -10 adventure trophy-bait, and lots of spots have 0 adventure choice possibilities.

I'm mainly looking for a good way of knowing that adventuring underwater will cost 2 adventures if you don't have fishy and that adventuring in the desert will cost 2 adventures if you aren't already ultrahydrated. There may be other locations with similar +adventure variable costs, but... if I can leverage mafia's internal know-how, great. If it's just more script overhead, that works too...

Was just thinking int turnip_cost(location) or even int turnip_cost(location, turnips) would be useful and let people do a bit of sanity-checking before they complain about why mafia uses 60 adventures for their 20 vacations. Then when they complain, we could suggest they do
adventure(60/turnip_cost($location[mysticality vacation]), $location[mysticality vacation]);
and have it spend their 60 adventures vacationing.

Catch-22

I don't believe there is such a command, so perhaps a minion could move this to feature requests.

As a side note, turnip is somewhat of an undocumented piece of terminology, only being referred to as such on these forums, someone who doesn't lurk much probably has no idea what the concept of "spending a turnip" actually means.

Bale

Minion
Really? People say that? I thought that this was a joke thread because he was using that weird word. That made it hard to take him seriously.

Winterbay

It has been used in the past by, among others I believe, Veracity, to make a difference between a turn and what Mafia does when you tell it to do "X things" which may or may not be turns...

Catch-22

Yes, to me it seemed like something Veracity came up with ad lib in order to describe a behavior (there's no reference to such things in the actual code), and the likes of xKiv et al. decided to pick it up and run with it.

Personally, I think the word is a bit silly and I don't think it was ever intended to become official terminology (I could be wrong, though), alas, this is currently the best word we have to describe it at the moment.

Theraze

Possibly, except substitute xKiv for Veracity and you'd be more accurate. As Veracity picked up on the term xKiv started, and has used it in the year following though, that gives it a bit more legitimacy.

I don't care as much what we call it, I was just checking if there was something to check it. But before a FReq is made... do we HAVE a better term to describe it? I'd rather not have the FReq get ignored due to the terms used rather than being rejected on its own merits or lack thereof. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
hola invented the term many years ago. It is a combination of "turn" (something you spend adventuring) and "trip" (something you do at the shore). It was intended to be the number you put in the count box on the Adventure Frame to count the number of times you visit a particular location - an adventure zone, a vacation, resting in the campground, etc. - regardless of how many actual adventures are consumed in doing so. The one exception to that is choice adventures that take zero turns. There used to be exactly one of those - the Chore Wheel in the Giant Castle - and, if you had that set to ignore the choice, we didn't want that to count as a visit.

Considering that the word was coined by the original creator of KoLmafia for a specific purpose, I'd have to say that it is an "official" term. You are certainly welcome to think it is "silly", but it has long history in KoLmafia. Longer than you do.

Theraze

Sounds good. The oldest reference I could get in these forums was xKiv, but I felt like I'd heard it earlier. I'll FReq with that then. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Jabs are in the eye of the beholder, aren't they? Sort of like calling the term "silly" looks like a "jab" to me.

I don't need behavior lessons from you, thank you very much.

Catch-22

Personally, I think the word is a bit silly and I don't think it was ever intended to become official terminology (I could be wrong, though). Jab indeed.

For the record, I also think automobile is a silly word. That doesn't mean that it's a word unworthy of a certain purpose, but perhaps there are more familiar words with which we could use to describe a motorized road vehicle.

Last edited:

Grotfang

Developer
Personally, my favourite silly word is erinaceous. I have been aware of it for about two years now, waiting for a chance to use it appropriately. One is yet to arrive...

matt.chugg

Revision 119 by shwei - 2006-04-13 08:56:43
Remove "turnip" phrase (use "visit" instead)
Resize flower hunting frame to smaller resolution
Fix museum item count handling in ASH
Cleaning up item-string conversion for ID-based initialization
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/AdventureFrame.java (view) (diff)
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/FlowerHunterFrame.java (view) (diff)
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafiaASH.java (view) (diff)

http://mattchugg.com/kolmafia/svn/?q=turnip

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Revision 119 by shwei - 2006-04-13 08:56:43
Remove "turnip" phrase (use "visit" instead)
Resize flower hunting frame to smaller resolution
Fix museum item count handling in ASH
Cleaning up item-string conversion for ID-based initialization
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/AdventureFrame.java (view) (diff)
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/FlowerHunterFrame.java (view) (diff)
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafiaASH.java (view) (diff)

http://mattchugg.com/kolmafia/svn/?q=turnip

Actually, it goes all the way back to the first svn commit. I... don't remember when the castle revamp was. I feel like it was way back in 2005 (before NS11), but I could be mistaken. In any event, those revisions are from back in 2006.

edit: ayup.
April 29 (2005)
Due to some random fluctuations in the space-time continuum of Loathing (evidenced mostly by the incomplete Giant Castle quest partially leaking onto the live servers) and a sudden unrelated change in soil pH, any beanstalks you may have planted in the Nearby Plains have withered and vanished.

In other news, there's a new Council quest, which involves the Giant Castle!

Last edited:

Catch-22

I was thinking about this yesterday anyway, isn't turnip cost the wrong phrase to use?

For example, the turnip cost for the sea area is going to be 1 regardless of what effects you have running, the adventure cost is what changes.

The turnip cost for any of the beach vacations is also going to be 1, it's the adventure cost we should be concerned with, isn't it?

I guess you could interpret it as "How many adventures will I lose for spending 1 turnip here?", but that's not exactly a "turnip cost", that would be closer to "turnip worth".

holatuwol

Developer
If KoLmafia actually tracked this information somewhere, it'd make more sense to add a proxy field to $location that says advs_needed or similar.

Paragon

Can a proxy field handle the fact that having fishy effect takes 1 turn/sea rather then 2? Does mafia know the difference between the desert hydrated and unhydrated to support the ops original use for returning 2 adventures spent on the hydrated desert without an active effect of ultra hydrated?