New Content - Implemented Track Mer-kin dreadscroll phrases

Theraze

There's 8 different phrases players learn as part of the Deepcity Scholar quest. It would be great if mafia could remember these. There are 3 from choiceAdventure704, 2 from using items in combat (healscroll and killscroll), one from eating sushi with a worktea in inventory, one from using a knucklebone, and one while using the darkbook and surviving getting the Deep Dark Visions effect (+9 spooky res minimum required).

It would be great if these were tracked... probably through specific clue entries matching specific properties. Whether that means we have dreadscrollClue1 through dreadscrollClue8, or dreadscrollKnucklebone and specific names for each... also, we'd need a dreadscrollAscension propety to know when to reset it.

mstieler

There's 8 different phrases players learn as part of the Deepcity Scholar quest. It would be great if mafia could remember these. There are 3 from choiceAdventure704, 2 from using items in combat (healscroll and killscroll), one from eating sushi with a worktea in inventory, one from using a knucklebone, and one while using the darkbook and surviving getting the Deep Dark Visions effect (+9 spooky res minimum required).

It would be great if these were tracked... probably through specific clue entries matching specific properties. Whether that means we have dreadscrollClue1 through dreadscrollClue8, or dreadscrollKnucklebone and specific names for each... also, we'd need a dreadscrollAscension propety to know when to reset it.

I'd think a "per item" set would work best (dreadscrollKnucklebone, dreadscrollWorktea, etc.) as that would also track what you would have left to find.

Theraze

In my case, they were the following:
doubled choice 1: XE747.66: Grievous Desserts, Vol. V
sunfish healscroll
The House of Pain deep dark visions
south knucklebone
red killscroll
giant choice 2: MS823.51: Effective Foul Research
whale worktea
a brand new dance craze choice 3: SW758.91: The Encyclopedia of Better Crab Lying
So if it were to match numbers, based on that set:
1 - Library book 1.
2 - Healscroll.
3 - Deep dark visions.
4 - Knucklebone.
5 - Killscroll.
6 - Library book 2.
7 - Worktea and sushi.
8 - Library book 3.

We'll see if this holds true for multiple characters and ascensions. Also, from the wiki talk page, it appears that the choices are fixed.
When the <choice1> <choice2> is in the House of <choice3>,
and the <choice4> Current runs <choice5>,
when a <choice6> <choice7> births <choice8>,
the Elder shall awaken.

choice1: ( lonely | doubled | thrice-cursed | fourth )
choice2: ( starfish | moonfish | sunfish | planetfish )
choice3: ( Cards | Blues | Pancakes | Pain )
choice4: ( Northern | Southern | Eastern | Western )
choice5: ( as red as blood | as black as ink | as green as bile | as yellow as piss )
choice6: ( blind | giant | finless | two-headed )
choice7: ( eel | turtle | shark | whale )
choice8: ( one thousand squirming young | two and twenty stillborn spawn | conjoined triplets | a brand new dance craze )

Edit: Second matches. Books were 1/6/8 (actually 6/8/1, but they were all from the library), the others all were the exact same spots.

Edit2: Four confirmations so far. Believe we can call these choices and where you get them from fairly accurate.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Having been through the library 3 times, with only 9 more to go, I now understand this quest - and agree we should track all the phrases. Somehow.

I'll be back there on Thursday, I expect. I'll think about this before then.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 12223 does this. The "dreadscroll" command shows you the 8 settings, where you get them, the current integer to feed to the dreadscroll choice adventure, and the clue you found. It also shows you the correctly filled out dreadscroll text, given the clues you know so far.

> dreadscroll

dreadScroll1 (Mer-kin Library 1): 4 (FOURTH)
dreadScroll2 (Mer-kin healscroll): 1 (starfish)
dreadScroll3 (Deep Dark Visions): 3 (The House of Pancakes)
dreadScroll4 (Mer-kin knucklebone): 3 (east)
dreadScroll5 (Mer-kin killscroll): 2 (black)
dreadScroll6 (Mer-kin Library 2): 2 (giant)
dreadScroll7 (Mer-kin worktea): 4 (a whale)
dreadScroll8 (Mer-kin Library 3): 3 (conjoined triplets)

When the fourth starfish is in the House of Pancakes,
and the Eastern Current runs as black as ink,
when a giant whale births conjoined triplets,
the Elder shall awaken.

Crowther

Yeah, sweet. It will be really nice to be able to relax and let the computer do that hard work there.