Bug - Not A Bug Topmenu Links Open in New Tab

icefall5

Lately when I open links in the top menu they open in a new tab, instead of the proper pane on the page. When it opens in a new tab it's only the content; the frameset and everything else is not included. I confirmed that it is not a GM script causing the problem. This has happened for several daily builds, and it is still happening in r9776 (what I'm using now; most up-to-date as of this post).

It doesn't happen every time, and I haven't been able to determine a pattern of when it begins, but I think it starts during a combat and carries over from there. Reloading the topmenu frame doesn't help, the only thing that can be done is to reload the entire relay browser.

Last edited:
I've had this happening for some time. Usually closing the relay browser pages and reopening fixes it (temporarily), but not always.

Bale

Minion
I'm not having this problem with r9776 or any previous build. Some more information is in order:

1. I'll assume you are using Firefox since you mention GM. What version of FF are you using?
  2. When this happens, have you tried switching browsers to see if it occurs in the new browser? This would be helpful to pin down it being a browser issue. (Just copy-paste the link from the address bar into the new browser.)
  3. What form of topmenu are you using? Icons, Drop downs or Links?
  4. Are quick skills enabled?
  5. Exactly which links are opening in a new window?

Last edited:

icefall5

1. I'm using FF 6.
2. Refreshing the page fixes the problem (albeit temporarily), so going into a different browser wouldn't do anything. I'll try using IE tomorrow to see if it continues to happen.
3. Links style
4. Quick skills are not enabled
5. When the problem begins, every single link is affected. I'll double-check this tomorrow.

I use Opera, and sometimes clicking links from the top pane or the character pane results in a new tab being open, with just the results loading in (entire window dedicated to the combat, or the inventory, etc.).

Theraze

Could also have to do with the keyboard... Ctrl-click means new tab, Shift-click means new window.

Winterbay

I've had this happen from time to time as well, however not regularly enough or consistent enough to be able to find any common cause. In the cases I've been using FF and have not used any shfit/ctrl-clicks.

holatuwol

Developer
Next time this happens, maybe right-click, view source the top menu so we can see if all the "target" settings still say "mainpane" or if they were mangled somehow? If they still say "mainpane", it's probably just the browser getting very confused, but if they say something different, we can try to track it down some more.

icefall5

The problem occurred again today. As soon as I noticed it, I grabbed the source of the top frame and it's attached. The links look intact to me (yes, I know my HTML).

Attachments

• topmenu.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 53

NardoLoopa

This happens pretty often to me now. Using the latest Mafia with FF6.0 on Linux. It isn't just the topmenu, though. A typical scenario occurs by manually adventuring through the proxy, then doing something in Mafia directly (usually using BCC's autoascend script) then when I go back to the proxy clicking on my next link usually results in a new tab opening. This is most often with the charpane's last adventure link, but has happened on the toppane as well as clicking on locations.

Unfortunately, I haven't isolated it to a specific pattern; I know BCC's autoascend does a _lot_ so it's a puddle of muck to find the bug in. And it doesn't happen all the time with BCC's either. :/

NardoLoopa

OKay, it seem to happen consistently when I go to the Inventory Screen, use an item, then try something else (maybe top menu). It happens other places, but that's 100% reproduceable on my setup. (Linux, FF 6.0, Mafia r9822).

Bale

Minion
Inventory screen.

Use a black-and-blue-light. Use text loads in-line.
Click on campground in the top panel.

not reproduced.

Using Opera and Windows XP.

Last edited:

Winterbay

OKay, it seem to happen consistently when I go to the Inventory Screen, use an item, then try something else (maybe top menu). It happens other places, but that's 100% reproduceable on my setup. (Linux, FF 6.0, Mafia r9822).

Using with inline-loading or not?

NardoLoopa

If you mean Ajax? Yes. If not, then how do I tell?

I also noticed that using from the multi-use screen (not the inventory popup) does not cause this problem.

Theraze

I'm not 100% certain of this, but my guess is that when the question is about inline-loading, the question is about loading inline. Set by the preference "relayUsesInlineLinks" found as "Force results to load inline for [use] links" in the Browser tab. But as I said, I might be off.

Winterbay

Thereze rephrased my question correctly, basically does it load the information without reloading the page or by reloading the page (as controlled by that setting).

NardoLoopa

Force Results to reload for inline [use] links is not checked.

Checking it, and testing (with and without reloading mafia) did not change the occurrence of the problem.

BTW: I have GM turned off.

These are the only relay scripts I have -- most for a long time:
basement.js* familiar.ash* onfocus.js*
basics.css* familiar_hatrack.ash* palinshelves.js*
basics.js* hotkeys.js* relay_bumcheekascendv0.1.ash*
chat.html* inventory.ash* sorttable.js*
cli.html* macrohelper.js*

Though I have "use user relay scripts" off.

Also on FF 6.0.2 now.