Bug - Fixed Tome & libram skills don't appear in BM aftercore

MsNicole

I guess the title pretty much says it. After recalling past skills and familiars in BM aftercore, my tome and libram skills still don't make it onto the mafia skills pane. All my other summoning skills, buffs and remedies seem to be there. Just not the ones that came from Mr. Store.

And yes, I'm running the latest daily build.

Last edited:

Winterbay

Logging out, possibly restarting Mafia and logging in again solves that problem. You can also make sure to go to your chracter pane after you have done this which I think also helps.

MsNicole

Logging out, possibly restarting Mafia and logging in again solves that problem. You can also make sure to go to your chracter pane after you have done this which I think also helps.

I'm glad to hear that works for you. But for some reason, it's not working for me. I've tried it umpteen times already. :(

ETA:
I've also tried putting Mafia into a clean folder, which often solves buggy problems like this. No luck there, either.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What do you get when you say "get kingLiberated" in the CLI?
If it is "false", try "set kingLiberated=true" and then visit your bookshelf in the campground.

General question: do your tomes, etc., become available in Bad Moon as soon as you free the king, or do they depend on recalling your skills? The code as written assumes the former...

Edit: the Wiki says this:

- The bookshelf is not affected by Hardcore or Ronin restrictions. However, it is not visible while in Bad Moon, although it is currently possible to access the bookshelf through direct linking. Originally it was possible to use the books normally to cast spells this way, but this was soon fixed.
- Books can be placed on your bookshelf while in Bad Moon, although it is not possible to cast the spells they grant until you have ascended under another moon sign.

So, in other words, while you are in Bad Moon, we cannot visit the bookshelf and therefore cannot learn what books you have. We could "directly link" to look at it, but the Campground code, as written, doesn't bother; it only looks at the bookshelf if it can see it.

And the Wiki, in several places, says that you cannot cast book spells in Bad Moon even after freeing the king. Recalling Ancient Memories recalls your skills - and now your familiars - but I see nothing to indicate it gives access to hidden campground stuff, like the Bookcase or the Telescope.

Last edited:

MsNicole

What do you get when you say "get kingLiberated" in the CLI?
If it is "false", try "set kingLiberated=true" and then visit your bookshelf in the campground.

It was false. I reset it to "true" in the cli, and checked to make sure it was reading true. I still didn't get tome and libram skills in the "skills" tab. Then, after logging out and logging back in again, mafia was back to showing get kingLiberated as "false," and tome and libram skills still weren't showing up in the "skills" tab. When I logged out and closed mafia, then logged in again, that worked.

Thanks. :)

General question: do your tomes, etc., become available in Bad Moon as soon as you free the king, or do they depend on recalling your skills? The code as written assumes the former...

I don't know. I didn't check. All I know is that I was able to use tome and libram skills from my "skills" page after freeing the king, but not from mafia.

Edit: the Wiki says this:

So, in other words, while you are in Bad Moon, we cannot visit the bookshelf and therefore cannot learn what books you have. We could "directly link" to look at it, but the Campground code, as written, doesn't bother; it only looks at the bookshelf if it can see it.

And the Wiki, in several places, says that you cannot cast book spells in Bad Moon even after freeing the king. Recalling Ancient Memories recalls your skills - and now your familiars - but I see nothing to indicate it gives access to hidden campground stuff, like the Bookcase or the Telescope.

I can't comment on the code involved. But as I said above, I had access to tome and libram skills from my "skills" page as soon as I freed the king. Just not from mafia.

Last edited:

Winterbay

It seemed to me as if I didn't get my skills (including telescope and bookshelf) back until I recalled my memories.

MsNicole

That's right. You don't.

So what I should have said was that I access to tome and libram skills from my "skills" page as soon as I freed the king and recalled my memories.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What I am hearing is that both the Telescope and the Bookshelf skills become available in Bad Moon ONLY when you recall your memories.

In KoLmafia, both of them are now coded to look at the "kingLiberated" setting - which, in MsNicole's case, was not set properly. I'm not sure why that should be, unless she freed the king outside of KoLmafia. Since you can't recall skills until the king has been liberated, perhaps we should set "kingLiberated" when we detect that you've recalled your skills on the account menu.

And perhaps we should re-examine your bookshelf when you recall skills in Bad Moon, to obviate logging out and in again to see your bookshelf skills.

This will all be a bit hard to test, since both I and my ascending multi have completed our Bad Moon cycles and are not especially interested in doing more Bad Moon...

Bale

Minion
In KoLmafia, both of them are now coded to look at the "kingLiberated" setting - which, in MsNicole's case, was not set properly. I'm not sure why that should be, unless she freed the king outside of KoLmafia.

Recently (last 2 ascensions) I've found that after liberating the king can_interact() still returns false until I refresh the session. Something might have changed so that mafia no longer detects when the king is liberated.

DoctorRotelle

Developer
I did a lot of testing when I changed the code from skills recalled to king liberated (in the daily deeds panel). Note the dates on all wiki comments about bad moon / bookshelf skills predates the recall skills KoL update. Visiting the bookshelf manually (in the relay browser) should fix mafia's lack of skill recognition and add them to your "skills". I note MsNicole didn't show that step during testing of that issue.

As for the kingLiberated setting, I've only had problems when I've had lag causing mafia to miss it, though there's been a few changes to the mafia code since, so some new issue may exist. Crashing mafia so the character's preference file gets corrupted can wipe some or all settings back to their defaults for that one character. Lag during login could also mean a blank page was acquired from the campground request and cause stuff to go awry. Changes made to defaults.txt from one build/version of mafia to another can also have this side effect. Lots of potential issues there...

If someone would like to test the telescope and bookshelf after a bad moon run: Complete a bad mon run and free the king. Then check your campground. (***Do not recall your skills until you've checked this. Report back to this thread what you find.***) We are not interested in old out-dated wiki discussions, but a fresh test of this scenario as it appears to have changed somewhat since recall skills was introduced to KoL. I see nothing to indicate this has changed since I tested and changed the code in daily deeds.

We'd also like to hear if any other folks are having trouble with their kingLiberated preference or can_interact() ASH response after freeing the king. Details may be important, so feel free to be verbose with what you see and what you try.

In the gCLI, you can use: "get kingLiberated" and "ash can_interact()". Once the king has been liberated, they should both return true. This may be relevant to bad moon AND non-bad moon runs (HC/HCO/subronin softcore), so we really need 2+ characters testing this part of the bug report. Bale's runs appear to be of the subronin variety.

Spade mode activated!
-=DoctorRotelle

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
For subronin runs (all of my runs), mafia still says I'm in ronin after I free the king (on the left side of the Adventure window) and thinks I have 0 pulls remaining. I don't normally think to check kingLiberated, though at one point I did check it and saw that it had the wrong value. I added "refresh all" to my post-run script to update mafia's status on that before doing all of my other stuff (though I guess setting kingLiberated would be better if that's the issue, which is all a moot point if it gets fixed).

Grotfang

Developer
This will all be a bit hard to test, since both I and my ascending multi have completed our Bad Moon cycles and are not especially interested in doing more Bad Moon...

I'm doing Bad Moon at the moment. If you are happy with there being delays now and again (I'm not a particularly fast ascender) then I'm happy to test changes.

slyz

Developer
After killing the NS:
Code:
> get kingLiberated

false

> ash can_interact()

Returned: false
After breaking the prism:
Code:
You acquire an item: Instant Karma

> get kingLiberated

true

> ash can_interact()

Returned: true
I went directly to my campground, and had access to the Bookshelf and the Telescope:
Code:
> ash have_skill($skill[Summon Stickers])

Returned: false

> telescope look low

Your telescope is unavailable in Bad Moon.

You acquire an item: scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker
You acquire an item: scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker
You acquire an item: scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker
You acquire an effect: Starry-Eyed (duration: 10 Adventures)

I'll wait to recall my memories until someone spins a patch, so I can test if it works post-prism and pre-recalling.

I was dreading my BM sauceror run, and put it off for a long time. It was actually the most enjoyable classes to play in BM!

Last edited:

DoctorRotelle

Developer
After killing the NS:
Code:
I went directly to my campground, and had access to the Bookshelf and the Telescope:
Your telescope is unavailable in Bad Moon.
You acquire an item: scratch 'n' sniff apple sticker
You acquire an item: scratch 'n' sniff UPC sticker
You acquire an item: scratch 'n' sniff rock band sticker
You acquire an effect: Starry-Eyed (duration: 10 Adventures)

Thank you for testing this! Most appreciated!!!

-=DoctorRotelle

Note: The wiki data is therefore stale and needs additional notes to indicate this change (which happened when recall skills was introduced). I will let V revert the relevant portions of the code to re-enable these commands as to avoid duplicating efforts.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I wonder if that was intentional, considering that Jick wrote that the pumpkin patch won't appear in BM until you recall your skills and "it works just like Tomes in that regard".

I will let V revert the relevant portions of the code to re-enable these commands as to avoid duplicating efforts.
FWIW, I will not be "reverting" code; the previous code looked directly at the king liberated setting, rather than going through the accessor function we provide for that in KoLCharacter. There is also the little issue that we don't seem to automatically visit the bookshelf to fund out just what books it has, when you free the king in Bad Moon, so the skills were not available until you logged out and logged in again, according a report earlier in this thread...

Last edited:

xKiv

Bump, because it seems to be broken again (maybe due to the recent options change?). New bug report?
more info:
- I am going to be in post-king-liberation pre-recalled BM for more than a day, probably
- running 9018, went to campground, went to bookshelf, quit-and-restart, didn't help
- kingLiberated is true
- options/account has both Recall skills and Drop Bad Moon:
Code:
<input type=hidden name="actions[]" value="recallskills"><input class=button name="action" type="submit" value="Recall Skills"><input type="checkbox" class="confirm" name="recallconfirm" value="1">
and
Code:
<input type=hidden name="actions[]" value="unbadmoon"><input class=button name="action" type=submit value="Drop Bad Moon"><input type="checkbox" class="confirm" name="unbadmoonconfirm" value="1">

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Looking at the code, looking at the book case still requires skills being recalled. I'll fix it.

Edit: Revision 9019. I also made it automatically look at your bookshelf and telescope when you free the king in Bad Moon, which should make those skills & the telescope buff available without having to restart the program.

Last edited: