The Wiki

bumcheekcity

So the mafia wiki is fairly useless. There. I've said it. Broadly speaking, it is an incomplete list of ASH functions and a few links. I think we should be including:

• Installing/Upgrading Mafia Instructions
  • Lists of things Mafia can automate (like for example the basement)
  • A complete list of ASH functions (listed in a more intuitive and complete way, like php.net, perhaps)
  • A complete list of CLI functions (how would we get the complete list of this and the above?)
  • Help for anyone who may wish to contribute to the Mafia project. It strikes me that there are very few people upgrading Mafia, and that if they leave or are unavailable for an extended period of time, KoL is going to be a lot less fun without automation.
  • Documentation of how the Java code is layed out.
  • More code samples :D
  • Information on what Mafia will do to assist each of the quests. For instance, tracking bottles of wine/insults and auto-using the blackbird.
  • FAQ of some sort?
  • ...any other ideas...?

I'm certain that the first page could serve people better by somehow providing answers to most common newbie complaints. People who wish to know about more complicated ASH/CLI scripting, or who require a function reference list can click through to a second page without problems.

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

Furthermore, information about how mafia handles non-standard choiceadvs. For example, I was browsing the mafia thread on the main forums, and jason wrote:

If you've selected "reveal key in conservatory", but have already done that, it will unlock the stairs instead. If you try to unlock the stairs, but that's already done, it will choose the "skip adventure" option.

I never knew mafia did this. A complete list of all non-standard choiceadvs would be helpful.

bumcheekcity

I'm doing bugger all this weekend (also known as "what I am doing all the time") so I'm going to crack on with this. I would still like to be able to edit the frontpage, if nobody minds. I'm sure I can make some substantial headway.

HippoKing

I haven't really got the effort to write up proper articles, but I am happy to add data. I created this just now which is of questionable usefulness but better than the current "nothing".

Are there any other data lists like that which would be helpful on the wiki?

matt.chugg

I haven't really got the effort to write up proper articles, but I am happy to add data. I created this just now which is of questionable usefulness but better than the current "nothing".

Are there any other data lists like that which would be helpful on the wiki?

That list should probably have a datatype value... i've looked a lot at the wiki and often thought of updating it some. but I whilst I am proficient in (x)html I have absolutly no idea how to update things on a wiki!

Bale

Minion
That list should probably have a datatype value... i've looked a lot at the wiki and often thought of updating it some. but I whilst I am proficient in (x)html I have absolutly no idea how to update things on a wiki!

Editing a wiki is easy. Just hit the edit tab on top of each page to edit that page's content. After that it is just a matter of knowing enough html/wiki markup, but that problem is easily solved by just copying it from similar pages.

HippoKing

That list should probably have a datatype value
As far as I can tell, Mafia doesn't actually use strong typing on those.

The reason I put the notes column in was partly so data like that could be added - stuff like pointing out that the war quests accept "hippy", "fratboy" or "none" as values. I just haven't bothered with writing any of that yet, if you want to add any, go for it.

.... i've looked a lot at the wiki and often thought of updating it some. but I whilst I am proficient in (x)html I have absolutly no idea how to update things on a wiki!

Wikis are simple. Generally just click the edit button in the top right. Any syntax you need, the help pages on wikipedia are awesome, it's the same software as this wiki.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
File uploads aren't enabled? Thought they where... I'll have to check that out

Bale

Minion
Oooo. I just noticed a little link to the wiki at the top of this page! That's brand new! Thanks fewyn.

In other news, the new front page for the wiki looks snazzy, but I'm not yet entirely sure what makes it better.