Bug Stuck at various points of logging in, even after updates, rollover, and router restart

Msapeman

Starting yesterday, I can suddenly no longer log in using mafia. I figured I was behind on releases, so updated java and mafia (21.9, 25807), but the same issue kept occurring. When I try to log in, it randomly halts at different stages. Sometimes it hangs at "loading character status", sometimes "synchronizing moon data", sometimes campground or quest data. I reset my router. I can log in fine on the normal site and adventure away. I figured it was something server-side and waited until rollover, but the same issue is happening, even with a multi.

edit: have now also tried uninstalling/reinstalling java 17, rebooting modem, and clearing cookies. still getting the same issue.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
If you're using Windows or Mac, do the OS-specific applications work for you?

It might also be an issue with your Mafia settings, since this doesn't seem tied to a specific revision (or version of Java, since you can clearly open the binary). Do you have any debug logs, or anything meaningful in your session logs?

Msapeman

Well, since this time it just sits at "sending login request" the log is fairly short:
Installing default certificate validation...
Sending login request...
class net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest
Connecting to login.php...

Requesting: https://www.kingdomofloathing.com/login.php
3 request properties
Field: User-Agent = [KoLmafia r25807]
Field: Accept-Encoding = [gzip]
Field: Content-Type = [application/x-www-form-urlencoded]

And that's it.

I wasn't aware of os apps. I'm quite a basic user, and it rarely has problems that aren't fixed by updating the build.

When it gets as far as "examining meat in closet", I get the attached debug file

No issues in the session logs for the last known good login on 10/22, but I did get some lines about the "nose knows" and "dead nostrils" skill when I logged in manually.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20211024.txt
    142.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I wasn't aware of os apps. I'm quite a basic user, and it rarely has problems that aren't fixed by updating the build.
This is a fairly new development, but if you go to github, you can find dmg / exe builds on the releases page.

I'm not seeing anything outright broken in that debug log, other than it hanging on fetching closet information, as you point out. Hm.

Msapeman

Okay, the os app still stalled once at quest data, but it seems to be working now. Let's hope that fixed whatever weirdness was going on.

Edit: Nope. Its back. Also tried a virus scan. Next step, messing with open ports (which haven't changed).
Editedit: Well, when it "can" login, it still can't do things like use the modifier maximizer. Haven't tried scripts yet.
Editthe3rd: Uninstalling and reinstalling on a different drive didn't fix it, so at least that's not dying. Just letting it run at the loading screens doesn't work, it never progresses. The process doesn't always end, and I have to kill it in taskmanager.

Last edited:

Msapeman

I installed on an old pc that never had mafia installed on it before, and it has the same problems. I guess that narrows it down to my router, ISP or something REALLY funky on the server side.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Okay, the os app still stalled once at quest data, but it seems to be working now. Let's hope that fixed whatever weirdness was going on.

Edit: Nope. Its back. Also tried a virus scan. Next step, messing with open ports (which haven't changed).
Editedit: Well, when it "can" login, it still can't do things like use the modifier maximizer. Haven't tried scripts yet.

OK, this is weird, so let's try a few questions to eliminate possibilities:
  1. Do you keep your KoLmafia settings on Dropbox or some other cloud-based locale?
  2. Do you have a firewall or VPN that might be dropping packets silently?
  3. If you launch the .jar version from the command line with something like java -verbose -jar KoLmafia-25807.jar >> MafiaVerbose.log, is there anything that looks odd in the extremely detailed log file?

Msapeman

1. Nope.
2. No firewall on my end, certainly not one that's changed since things worked on Friday.
3. Assuming I'm doing this right, here's the debug log. The mafia verbose one is too long to attach.

I don't know if its blocked by TPTB, but I only get ping timeouts from kol.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20211024.txt
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
It should be timing out if it can't communicate.

I assume you've tried a different browser/turned off chrome extensions?

OK, so lets try some additional logging:
In preferences session logs, can you turn on:
  1. Session Log records your player's state on login
In extra debugging
  1. Verbosely log communication between KoLMafia and browser

Msapeman

Yeah, tried firefox, chrome, and even opera. No joy.

I enabled the session log and extra debugging, but get no session log because it won't actually log in. The verbose log is attached.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20211024.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 1

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I'm trying to figure out what we can eliminate.

1. And you've tried to login as your (if necessary, recently created) multi?
  2. Can you use a VPN or tether to a cellphone to try through a different network?
  3. Can you back up your user prefs and let it create new ones for you?

Msapeman

1. Yes, the same issue arises.
2. YES! Tethering it allows it to log in!
3. I think it already has. When I uninstalled java and reinstalled and used the OS app, it didn't appear to save any preferences, usernames, or passwords.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Woot! I am relieved that it seems to not be a KoLmafia problem, while still hoping you can get it resolved, or stay tethered for a bit...

Tethering points to your router or ISP, or possibly something on your computer(s), like PathMTU, but probably not since Tethering works.

Dumb advice #1: Reboot your router and any intermediate networking gear on your side.

Dumb advice often works.

If it doesn't, you can either go down the path of logging in to your router and seeing what it's doing or call your ISP and go through troubleshooting with them...

Msapeman

Yeah, they open again tomorrow. Damned if I know what they're doing, but seeing as how I haven't changed anything on my end, its the only remaining loose end. Thanks a bunch, everyone!