Bug - Not A Bug Store price change exception

Theraze

If you were on a PC, I'd tell you to fully clear your Java cache... Control Panel, Java, Settings (Temporary Internet Files), Delete Files, Check Everything, OK. On a Mac, I'm guessing it's something similar... but someone who actually has one in front of them rather than 50' away at their desk (oh, it's so far... can't... won't... stand... eh. :)) can probably provide the exact steps to clean that up.

Stardock

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm on a mac and I'm experiencing the same behavior. Any idea what's going on here, or how I can help track down the issue?

Stardock

By the way, I tried clearing the cache and that didn't work. I also tried a reinstall of java and that didn't work either. Not sure what else to try.

There's probably not a whole lot I can do since that's indicative of your java swing being broken. Negotiating the opening and closing of editors is handled by things that our code hasn't changed, so if it's broken for you and not others...

Can a different mac user confirm that their store manager table cell editor works properly? i.e. behaves like I said in post #7?
Works for me using Java SE 7u21 on a Mac. Also tested with Java SE 6u45 - that works too.

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
Let's try this from a different angle. Because posting the same bug report over and over is not giving me any new info.

Do you get this error with a fresh install of mafia? Do you get this error on a multi?

Let's try this from a different angle. Because posting the same bug report over and over is not giving me any new info.

Do you get this error with a fresh install of mafia? Do you get this error on a multi?
Reminder: To simulate the effect of a fresh install on the Mac without disturbing your current data, you need to move the KoLmafia folder inside Library -> Application Support elsewhere. To do this: Alt+Click the Go menu in Finder, then choose Library.

Stardock

Reminder: To simulate the effect of a fresh install on the Mac without disturbing your current data, you need to move the KoLmafia folder inside Library -> Application Support elsewhere. To do this: Alt+Click the Go menu in Finder, then choose Library.

I tried this. I get the error with my main and with a multi on a fresh install.

Stardock

At this point I suspect your computer's Java install is corrupted. First, try re-applying Java for OS X 2013-003 from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572
If that doesn't work, re-apply the 10.8.4 Combo Update from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1659
Then apply the above Java update a second time.

Tried this, in this order. Still doesn't work.

Is there a way to see if it's java or KoLMafia? Like another application that uses a similar mechanism or a java tester or something?

Tried this, in this order. Still doesn't work.

Is there a way to see if it's java or KoLMafia? Like another application that uses a similar mechanism or a java tester or something?
One way to test this is to try both JRE6 and JRE7 from the Terminal, by using their full paths:

JRE6:
/System/Library/Java/VirtualMachines/jdk6u45.jdk/Home/bin/java -jar (drag the KoLmafia.jar file to the Terminal window)

JRE7:
/Library/Java/VirtualMachines/jdk7u21.jdk/Home/jre/bin/java -jar (drag the KoLmafia.jar file to the Terminal window)

This will also produce some diagnostic output in the Terminal window as KoLmafia runs. If you can reproduce the problem under both JREs, odds are either you didn't move the entire KoLmafia folder aside when doing the clean install test, or your KoLmafia installation is corrupted, or there really is a bug here (unlikely, as it works just fine for me).

EDIT: I'm not 100% certain on those paths. You can always go to Computer in the Finder and check yourself though ;)

Stardock

One way to test this is to try both JRE6 and JRE7 from the Terminal, by using their full paths:

JRE6:
/System/Library/Java/VirtualMachines/jdk6u45.jdk/Home/bin/java -jar (drag the KoLmafia.jar file to the Terminal window)

JRE7:
/Library/Java/VirtualMachines/jdk7u21.jdk/Home/jre/bin/java -jar (drag the KoLmafia.jar file to the Terminal window)

This will also produce some diagnostic output in the Terminal window as KoLmafia runs. If you can reproduce the problem under both JREs, odds are either you didn't move the entire KoLmafia folder aside when doing the clean install test, or your KoLmafia installation is corrupted, or there really is a bug here (unlikely, as it works just fine for me).

EDIT: I'm not 100% certain on those paths. You can always go to Computer in the Finder and check yourself though ;)

Ok, tested with both those paths (You were pretty close btw), no luck. Same errors on both java versions. I also downloaded a new version of KoLmafia to make sure it wasn't corrupt and also I completely deleted the KoLmafia folder in Application Support and emptied the Trash to make sure. Pretty sure that worked because I had to input my login information again.

One thing I've noticed though is that the first error reported to the console isn't the clicking of the save prices button. It's whenever I click on the table itself which makes me think that dave and I have the exact same issue.

Are you running 10.8.4 as well? I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Stardock

To further confirm, I created a new user account on OS X and it works fine (just like it did for dave). So...something is screwed up with Java on this specific account.

Ok, tested with both those paths (You were pretty close btw), no luck. Same errors on both java versions. I also downloaded a new version of KoLmafia to make sure it wasn't corrupt and also I completely deleted the KoLmafia folder in Application Support and emptied the Trash to make sure. Pretty sure that worked because I had to input my login information again.

One thing I've noticed though is that the first error reported to the console isn't the clicking of the save prices button. It's whenever I click on the table itself which makes me think that dave and I have the exact same issue.

Are you running 10.8.4 as well? I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Yes, I am running 10.8.4. At this point I know what the cause is: You have a corrupted Java cache folder. Fortunately, this isn't hard to fix. Quit KoLmafia if it is running. Go back into your user Library (where you found the KoLmafia folder). This time, open Caches instead of Application Support. In there you'll see a bunch of folders. You're looking for one with "java" or "jre" or "jdk" in its name. Move this folder aside (don't delete it just yet). Try again. If it works now, delete the folder you identified earlier.

Stardock

Yes, I am running 10.8.4. At this point I know what the cause is: You have a corrupted Java cache folder. Fortunately, this isn't hard to fix. Quit KoLmafia if it is running. Go back into your user Library (where you found the KoLmafia folder). This time, open Caches instead of Application Support. In there you'll see a bunch of folders. You're looking for one with "java" or "jre" or "jdk" in its name. Move this folder aside (don't delete it just yet). Try again. If it works now, delete the folder you identified earlier.

The only ones I found were openjdk folders, moved them but the problem still persists. I also tried to clear it from the java control panel as well.

The only ones I found were openjdk folders, moved them but the problem still persists. I also tried to clear it from the java control panel as well.
Since that did not help, do the same thing for the system-wide Java cache (in /Library/Caches, where the initial / is the root of your boot drive as before).