Bug Single-use skills "stick" in skill casting tab after use, have to backspace to cast other skills.

VladYvhuce

For quite some time, I've been having an issue with casting single-use spells from Mafia's Skills tab. Tonight, I finally got around to running a debug log during the process, and taking screenshots showing what is going on. When cast, the spell disappears from the "data field", and instead of other skills showing up, the greyed-out skill will show up until the backspace key is pressed, at which point a system beep will be heard and the skills list will repopulate (as it should have at the point where only the greyed-out skill was showing up).
Screenshot (219).pngScreenshot (220).pngScreenshot (221).pngScreenshot (222).png

Attachments

• DEBUG_20220210.txt
    146.6 KB · Views: 2

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Considering that nobody has submitted code to address this, it is completely unsurprising that it is "still going on".
Why would you imagine that an additional debug log would be useful?
You're not giving us anything new, right?

VladYvhuce

Considering that nobody has submitted code to address this, it is completely unsurprising that it is "still going on".
Why would you imagine that an additional debug log would be useful?
You're not giving us anything new, right?
Honestly, I don't know if I am or not. I have no idea how to make sense out of what a debug log contains. To me, it's all a big wall of text that might as well be in a foreign language. But, yes, I was hoping that perhaps it would be helpful, or I wouldn't've gone through the effort to have mafia do the log, and then to upload it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Gausie has an open PR which is heading in the direction of looking at this issue. It is a “draft” and hasn’t been touched in 12 days or so.

I assume something has come up in his life, at the moment.

Making “nag” posts because volunteer developers aren’t working hard/fast enough on your pet issues is not helpful. Capisce?

VladYvhuce

Gausie has an open PR which is heading in the direction of looking at this issue. It is a “draft” and hasn’t been touched in 12 days or so.

I assume something has come up in his life, at the moment.

Making “nag” posts because volunteer developers aren’t working hard/fast enough on your pet issues is not helpful. Capisce?
I was hoping that what I'd posted would be helpful. I'm very much a layman when it comes to tech stuff. It was not a "nag" post by intention. I've made it clear that I don't have dev-level knowledge about things like debug logs, and that it was posted in the hopes that it would be helpful and that it would perhaps contain new info. Harassing me for not having dev-level knowledge of such things isn't helping things, either.

When no developer has posted in a bug thread since its creation and it's been over three weeks, I think posting (what the user at least believes to be) additional information is a reasonable next step. Without information from any developers, there's no way for anyone to know what the status is, and certainly there are plenty of issues in coding that do just go away as a result of seemingly unrelated changes. "Still happening, here's some more information in case that helps" should not be taken as an attack.

Edit: I rewrote this three or four times this morning before posting and upon further reflection it still feels unnecessarily confrontational, but I'm not really sure how else I can say it. Maybe just please consider that most people posting here are attempting to be helpful, and automatically assuming they're judging you as a developer is detrimental to good communication.

Last edited:

VladYvhuce

This problem has gotten worse.
In r27070, pressing backspace in the skill selection box (where the skill name is displayed after selection) no longer cancels out the stuck skill. Instead, I have to click on an active effect in the Active Effects menu to clear out the stuck skill selection and restore my ability to select skills. This was not the case last time I used mafia (r27066 was the latest build then). So, something has changed between these builds that has made the problem worse.