Shared KoLmafia across sites

seamer

Hi,

I use KoL from home and at my office. I store everything in Dropbox.

I'm configuring settings at work that don't carry over to the home machine. Is this a registry issue with Win7?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

I use KoL from home and at my office. I store everything in Dropbox.

I'm configuring settings at work that don't carry over to the home machine. Is this a registry issue with Win7?

Why would you say that? mafia runs on non-Windows OSes and so would not use the registry.

mafia settings are in files so if you could properly synch the files across the two machines then you should have the same behavior. Some people using Dropbox have noted that there are firewalls or proxies at work that have to be configured to allow Dropbox access. Personally I carry a flash drive instead :) In any event more information would be helpful.

Winterbay

I was using my nice flash drive until that went all slow and sluggish on me. I'm hoping the added layer of changing a password every 6 weeks won't be too much of a hassle, and also it doesn't bother me if I forget the stick at home any more :)

I play on a Mac and a Windows machine. Dropbox/flash drives don't work because the mafia files all get saved to ~/Library/Application Support/KolMafia

Is there some way to change that default?

If not, where are the relevant files that store internal variables such as quest completion, fortune cookie counters etc stored so I can try syncing those, please?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I switched to SugarSync, which just allows you to pick folders to share without making you mess with symlinks. Not that I have multiple computers to play KoL at right now...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
In the days of the dinosaurs there was a collaboration tool called Groove. It had file sync and encryption capabilities and it was my tool of choice when synching files (including KoLmafia) across computers, especially when some were behind nannywalls. No good deed goes unpunished. Microsoft bought Groove, broke it up into little pieces and embedded them in Microsoft Office. My understanding is that, at the heart, the file synch capability in Office 2010 is basically Groove and thus should work real well for mafia synch. Anyone tried it? I will once I have to split my life across multiple computers but that's not the case at the moment.

Bale

Minion
I switched to SugarSync, which just allows you to pick folders to share without making you mess with symlinks. Not that I have multiple computers to play KoL at right now...

What are the pros and cons of SugarSync vs Dropbox?

I see that the 5 GB plan for SugarSync is free. So I'd get 15 MB less for free which is pretty irrelevant if I only use it for KoLmafia. That's a pretty insignificant minus.

On the other hand, being able to choose the folders to sync is a pretty nice plus.

What about ease of usage? Can I make public links to share my files and folders on their server with anyone? Other comments?

Ok, I followed the instructions at http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=Dropbox and it didn't work. Same problem as before.

After a little experimentation, I had to do the following:

-Use the full path from root to my KoLmafia folder in the Dropbox
-Use the local application support folder ie ~/Library/Application\ /Support/KoLmafia rather than /Library/Application\ /Support/KoLmafia

It works! Also interested in alternatives to Dropbox. Good to know.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Can I make public links to share my files and folders on their server with anyone?
Yes. You could even put a password on the shared files if you want to. https://www.sugarsync.com/sync_comparison.html compares some features. Maybe it's biased. I mostly use the service for online backup of my single computer, so the ability to pick folders was the only thing that really could make a difference.

If limited storage space is an issue, here is a referral link for more.

holatuwol

Developer
The non-free plans for SugarSync are also much cheaper than Dropbox if that matters. I like having a paid plan around since the Terms of Service on all the different free plans make me wary of how much I can rely on the data backup aspect of the sync.

However, legacy operating system support is the reason why I use Dropbox instead of SugarSync, since I run Xubuntu (SugarSync doesn't support anything Linux officially) and Mac OS 10.4 (SugarSync requires Mac OS 10.5+) as my primary operating systems.

I use Windows XP to rip CDs since my CD drive on my Mac doesn't work right, and that's where I do my major sync'ing, but that's not really relevant when it won't support my primary systems.

Last edited: