Feature - Rejected Session Log Naming

matt.chugg

Would it be possible for mafia to use playerid (or name) and ascension number to create unique session logs per character per ascension? (like: mskc.24.log)

If i've said that how it is in my head, mafia would then create a new log each time it encountered a new playerid or a new ascension, or if continuing with an existing ascension append to the ascension log of that players current ascension. Then it will be easy to look at the log of a specific ascension for a specific playerid

My main reason for asking is purly selfish (not going to win over the devs I feel!), in my plan to build a log analyser, but also it may make things clearer for players who run multiple characters.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
One objection is that there's already a parser that figures out day and ascension boundaries based on the current setup, and these changes would break it.

Another issue is that 200 day ascensions (with lots of aftercore probably) would be impossible to open with a normal text editor, and requiring people to use parsers isn't really a good idea.

matt.chugg

Both very valid points!

The first I don't have an answer for, short of asking for an option to use a different type of logging.

The second could be managed by splitting the logs further into username.ascension.date.log

I think I may have to reconsider what i'm planning to do!

Winterbay

Seeing as I have logs in my log-catalog that are over 7MB I would not want to know how big that log would be if you combined all tehdays of that ascension into the same file... :)
(that said, that is mainly due to me adding debug messages to a script that got stuck in an infinite loop and me not aborting in time...)

I do however have logs on over 2MB that are completely normal usage.

matt.chugg

Ok I think the above points are valid, i'll reconsider, someone please reject this request! :)

Just out of interest, I thought i'd test log sizes a little:

notepad++ doesn't even flinch at opening a 157mb log file on my system, over 5 million lines, opening takes about 2.5 seconds, closing (and saving changes) takes less than 2!

Windows notepad on the other hand, took around 15 seconds jsut to open, and I didn't feel like testing the save!

You guys should get better text editors ;) :p

I do agree with what you are saying, and having thunk about it, coupled with the fact I run from dropbox, I wouldn't want massive files syncing.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Maybe it's a difference in hardware? On my macbook (early Intel version), it took a long time for me to open a 20 MB mafia debug file. Since the main mafia thread lists it working on Windows 98 and OSX 10.3, newer hardware can't be assumed.

matt.chugg

Thats another good point! Mine is relativly new!

I'd like to point out that the testing part was mostly for fun, I understand this isn't as good an idea as I thought

matt.chugg

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to do that the Ascension Log Visualizer doesn't?

Nothin major, just ideas which I had about run analysis, would have been web based, with option to store log files for future spading,

run differences between logs
speed improvment reccomendations (improvments that could have been made by doing the same run with different moons etc, unused pulls, not getting drunk before rollover)
run usuage cost
rng niceness (if you were lucky in general or screwed over)

Like I said its mostly just ideas in my head, I was going to write the parser first then add features