Feature - Implemented Sending Kmail puts recipient as Victim for buffs

jwylot

Not sure if this can be fixed but sending a Kmail can lead to inadvertently buffing whoever the KM was sent to as their name appears as victim on the Skill casting tab.

Joe

Grotfang

Developer
Confirmed. However, it has nothing to do with sending the kmail.

When a name is typed into either of those entry fields (AutoFilterComboBox) it is mirrored in the other. I can't find any other mafia panel that uses this utility, but I assume if one exists then it would be mirrored there too.

Is this intentional, or should it be fixed?

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You have a list of known contacts, initialized from your account page. This is used as the list of mail recipients (in SendMessageFrame) and buff recipients (in SkillBuffFrame). This list is added to when you do a /who in chat, or when send kmail or buff a new player; a new contact in one place is deemed to be be interesting as a new contact in the other.

I think it's reasonable for them to share the same list. I don't know if it's reasonable or unreasonable for selecting a player on one panel to select the same one one the other. I don't understand how it can lead you to "inadvertently" buff the wrong player; when you do to the skill buff frame, does it, or does it not show you the correct name of the victim? If it does not, but casting a skill actually inflicts it upon somebody else, yes, that is a bug. If it does show the correct name and you hit the "cast skill" button, how is that inadvertent? It is doing exactly what you told it to do.

Theraze

I think the inadvertant part is just if you're planning on buffing yourself since you haven't put anything in, and end up buffing them because you sent them a mail message...

slyz

Developer
If it does show the correct name and you hit the "cast skill" button, how is that inadvertent? It is doing exactly what you told it to do.
The name of the player you send a kmail to is shown in the Skill Casting pane, so everything works as expected.

It's easy to overlook checking what "The Victim" is for your buff if it was changed by sending a kmail and not through the Skill Casting pane. I know of this behavior and regularly end up buffing someone else because I forget to check.

Making the two fields independent would avoid this kind of unintuitive behavior. As you pointed out, all the information is in front of you when you hit the 'Cast' button, so the user can only blame himself, but if a simple fix could avoid this, I'm all for it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The two lists are pointers to the same LockableListModel. That means that changes in one place changes in the otherm too - including the selected index. LockableListModel provides a getMirrorImage feature, which says this:

"Note that this means any changes in selected indices will not be mirrored in the mirror image."

I'll try it out.