Script request: Sea Monkees quest

Banana Lord

As far as I can tell no-one's posted a script to complete this quest yet and because it's not a project I'm particularly interested in undertaking myself (though it is one I would benefit from) I am looking to contract someone to write one to release publicly on these forums.

Specifications
  • You may assume the character has 200 mus/myst/mox, though you do not have to
  • Closets all but a user configurable amount of meat before running
  • Must complete the Sea Monkees quest with the option of stopping immediately after unlocking Big Brother's shop
  • You may assume that the character has already eaten, drunk, spleened and acquired enough turns of fishy
  • Uses an outfit set by the user (obvious, but it's best to make these things clear)
  • Will optionally purchase mallable items as needed rather than adventure for them
  • You should be prepared, within reason, to update the script should any updates be made which cause it to stop functioning as specified here

Payment
An amount appropriate to the work done, starting at 10M (if you go the extra mile and make a script that does more than asked for, you can expect a corresponding tip).

Bale

Minion
I will gladly do that for 10 million meat.

I was planning on diving into the sea as soon as I was done with the Haunted House. I could give it a run then.

Assuming that the player will handle decisions about eating, drinking, fishy and has the stats to annihilate the monsters makes it reasonably easy.

I'll assume that the character will write a CCS to handle the monsters if he has lower stats.

Banana Lord

Awesome. You can, of course, add support for eating and drinking to get fishy etc. if you want to, but it's not necessary (though if you did I'd raise the price, with the exact amount depending on the exact implementation). At the moment I was thinking of something along the lines of 1 pete's sake and 4 maki, with ED making handling everything else. No idea how optimal that is though.

Banana Lord

Heh, that's actually going to be handy irrespective of what Bale decides to do. Thanks Winterbay!

EDIT: Handy in that I didn't know it existed until now :)

Bale

Minion
My sushi script is available for inclusion (including copy pasting from) if wanted :)

Thanks, I was thinking of asking you for that. Though of course it is fair to assume that a character has no access to sushi before he starts the script unless he bought a spare sushi mat the last time he was in the sea. Does you script consider eating fish meat without the mat?

Winterbay

It considers pure fish meat, it does not consider you not having a mat at the moment. I have been thinking of adding that though since it would be better if it did something when you have no mat rather than stop and complain that it can't roll the wanted sushi. I should also stop calling it by version number and have the number internally instead to make things easier :)

Bale

Minion
I agree with both of your suggestions for your script.

PS. I use it every time I go into the sea.

Banana Lord

Ah, OK. That would make more sense. Though I could see fish juice boxes being better than is immediately apparent due to the extra adventures gained from better food and the ability to wear a hat underwater (now that's a skill I wish I had in everyday life).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If fish juice boxes were 100 meat from an NPC, everyone would just use those without thinking about it. If maki ingredients get 20 times as high, no one is going to eat maki. It just depends on how all of the prices compare (perhaps not favorable for fish juice boxes right now), and it's been so long since I went in the sea that it would take me half an hour just to figure out which item prices need checking to make the comparison.

Winterbay

I'll try and incorporate that into my sushi-script, but the first step is to not consider things that are higher than basic meat if you do not have a mat. Which it does now (I think), I'll upload that later this evening.

Theraze

I might possibly do something regarding this, but I'm not sure yet. Did it manually twice just before Halloween, but...

Script assumptions:
We're assuming that the character has enough stats to survive and a CCS that works.
We're assuming that we won't be able to get more fishy if needed except through potions, since appetite is gone. If they take care of things though, that should be fine.

Script execution:
Closets all but <zlib variable> meat.
Buys any item possible (just diving helmet and sand dollars? also keeping 5 dolphin whistles in stock?), if <buyStuff> is set. Optionally, <buyHelmet> and <buyDollars> instead of a single variable.
Aborts after Big Brother if <abortBigBrother> or <abortShopping> is set.
Uses some user-classified outfit, or defaultoutfit if not explicitly set.

Anything else?

Banana Lord

No problem Bale, thanks anyway.

You might be able to get fishy from fish juice boxes, if necessary.

I tend to err of the side of fewer rather than more options, so if you think that one variable will be enough then <buyStuff> sounds good to me. If that setting is true then yes, the script should just buy anything it needs. I don't know a great deal about the sea, are dolphin whistle's necessary/optimal?

Other than that I think you've covered everything.

Theraze

Anytime you almost get the item and the dolphin thieves take it away and it's worth more than 800 meat or so, the dolphin whistle is probably a good choice.

I'll probably look into different ways to make it work, but... yeah. We'll see.

Theraze

Okay... just wanted to say that I'm finally to the point where this is starting to happen. Have a rudimentary "The Sea" script together now. Believe it accepts the quest, collects the wriggling flytrap pellet, uses it, talks to little brother, gets (and sets, if the player has it disabled) the choice adventure for big brother, finds out about grandpa, adventures in the right zone for him while checking on each of the 3 choiceadv if he's unlocked yet (don't want to set 3 choiceadv in case someone aborts or runs out of turns partially through), talks to grandpa about grandma, gets her 3 items, asks grandpa about the note, and adventures until she's unlocked.

At the moment, it either uses obtain or direct adventuring... I need to not use obtain for anything but choice adventures, since we're wanting that to be a user configured setting. As such, it still needs:
Script actions needed:
Finish Skate quest. Will probably always use obtain to get the weapon, since they're cheap and it can take a lot of turns to get them otherwise.
Adventure for sand dollars for non-buying of the boot.
Track the quest completion state more efficiently to save server hits.

Configuration refinements needed:
Closets all but <zlib variable> meat.
Configure settings to allow buying or adventuring instead of just buying cheap stuff. Buys any item possible (just diving helmet and sand dollars? also keeping 5 dolphin whistles in stock?), if <buyStuff> is set. Optionally, <buyHelmet> and <buyDollars> instead of a single variable.
Aborts after Big Brother if <abortBigBrother> or <abortShopping> is set. Probably make this be abortMonkees, getBoot, and chooseSkate instead. Step 1 means only accept the quest, 2 means little brother, 3 means big brother, 4 means grandpa, 5 means grandma. If you have chooseSkate set to 0 it will skip it, 1 means ice, 2 means roller, and 3 means the board. With getBoot selected, after you finish the skate quest, it will try to get the boot either by adventuring or buying.
Uses some user-classified outfit, or defaultoutfit if not explicitly set.

Banana Lord

Awesome! Sounds great! I wasn't expecting this for a while, Good to see you've found time to work on it :)

EDIT: It's up to you, but you might prefer not to keep whistles in stock. It's not hugely un-optimal for the script to just acquire one when needed.

Last edited: