Feature remove unnecessary server hits from KoLAdventure.validate()

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Actually, someone added quest state checking there at some point, and checking the plains updates the quest state so future plains checks aren't needed, so that one is taken care of.

Theraze

Isn't there a quest flag for L10 that marks if the bean has been used yet? And we have the
questG02Whitecastle (user, now 'step1', default unstarted)
which should be checkable for if we've unlocked the grove early... either that or the L11 quest check should be usable for that unlock.

Theraze

Ah right. Idiots who pull the wet stew and don't visit their guild and then complain. Or who do SC avatar runs with the stew pulling for a slightly more legitimate excuse, I suppose.

But yeah, L11 is screwed and requires a server hit. The best fix for that is probably parsing the woods when we go and marking grove unlocked the first time we see it there, so it only takes a single server hit once it's been unlocked and it might even be during an unrelated check that won't cost an extra server-hit.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Ah right. Idiots who pull the wet stew and don't visit their guild and then complain. Or who do SC avatar runs with the stew pulling for a slightly more legitimate excuse, I suppose.

All softcore players should pull wet stew. It's better than blank-out and super cheap. And you can unlock your guild store without taking the white citadel quest. So the problem would generally affect people that play softcore and then want lucre in aftercore.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
All softcore players should pull wet stew.

*snicker*

Perhaps you meant to say that "all softcore players who are attempting some kind of optimality and actually understand the game mechanics should pull wet stew".

I am not debating the optimality of the strategy, merely reminding people that the "idiots" are out there, we do use KoLmafia and one of the beauties of the program is that it often lets us know we are being idiots but lets us proceed anyway.

Tangentially, I have been around KoLmafia long enough to understand just how deeply ingrained the philosophy of minimizing server hits is, and how many useful features have not been implemented immediately because of that. But I have to wonder how many unnecessary server hits occur because KoLmafia has bad or missing information so users manually bang on the server and do things they would not otherwise do. Thus I think accurate setting of quest variables, at a cost of one server hit per session (?) may actually reduce unnecessary manual server hits and should be considered as a solution. I'd even suggest as a compromise, a sticky thread where devs who introduce a server hit they feel could be made unnecessary can note that and revisit at a later date.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia checks the quest log when you log in, covering most quests. There are things missing for sure, but they should be things that can't be covered so easily.