Bug - Fixed Relay Browser has old content

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
i have seen this or something similar several times. i am posting in hopes that there will be enough observations to explain or reproduce. in general when i switch from auto adventuring to the relay browser the relay browser will display a previous encounter. this can be a problem because if it looks like there is a fight in progress and i attempt to finish it, then i often end up initiating a fight i did not want.

specifically - today i was auto in the barr with a goal of the map. auto stopped. i opened the relay browser via the menu, navigated to my inventory, pressed use on the map and got a tetchy pirate combat displayed. i attacked and then got a combat page for the crab, as expected. there is no indication in the session log that anything other than the crab showed up after using the map.

sorry for the lower case - broken wrist and am keyboard challenged.

thanks.

Winterbay

I think this is due to the fact that aborted combats are now shown with the "Click here to continue in the relay browser" which saves the state of your last such encounter somewhere. So when you then open up the relay browser later on (say you finished whatever that was in the CLI) you will still get that same old encounter. I've seen this rather often in that context and have just learned to ignore it when there is a monster shown that shouldn't be there when I open it up.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I think this is due to the fact that aborted combats are now shown with the "Click here to continue in the relay browser" which saves the state of your last such encounter somewhere. So when you then open up the relay browser later on (say you finished whatever that was in the CLI) you will still get that same old encounter. I've seen this rather often in that context and have just learned to ignore it when there is a monster shown that shouldn't be there when I open it up.

alas i don't always remember to ignore or refresh..

almost sounds like this is a feature request to clear the state before opening the relay browser unless it is being opened in response to click to continue.

Ruby Eyes

Actually, I came here to post a weirdness regarding old data in relay.

So I'm fighting monsters in a given zone, adventure by adventure. Main pane seems fine, but the the left side pane is always 1 page load behind.

E.g. just had the following adventure sequence (using combat macro, so just 1 page load per fight):
adventure 1: simple fight & kill, side pane shows 20 MP, 3 adventures left
adventure 2: I gain 1 MP in combat (starfishing resistant monster), monster dead, side pane still shows 20 MP, 2 adventures left
adventure 3: I gain 17 MP in combat (starfishing normal monster), monster dead, side pane shows 21 MP, 1 adventure left
adventure 4: nope, I get told I'm out of adventures ... (but side pane refreshes and shows me 38 MP and 0 turns)

Ate something to get more adventures, started fighting again.

adventure 5: I fight a bee with spells, spend 12 MP, side pane shows 38 MP
adventure 6: I gain 15 MP in combat (starfishing again), side pane shows 26 MP
I proceed to cast a buff, side pane shows 41 MP.

Naturally, HP etc is also old data, which is why this was especially unfunny during beecore war, so I ended up playing that part without mafia.
Manually scrolling down and clicking that "refresh" link works, but it gets a little tedious to do so.

Got this effect when I started using v14.7 r9702, had been using r9629 before which worked fine, and r9708 does not fix this either.

What can I do to get up-to-date combat data again, please?

Theraze

Question... are you using the mini-browser for this? I've noticed that the mini-browser stays a round back, while the normal relay browser stays up to date...

Theraze

I'd suggest making a new bug report for this then. :) Since it's not related to the bug report you've attached it to... that will help people follow it more easily.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'd suggest making a new bug report for this then. :) Since it's not related to the bug report you've attached it to... that will help people follow it more easily.

Really? Unlike my attempts to shoehorn this report into the thread that is seeing a lot more activity, Ruby's report seems to be a much more detailed report of what I experienced which makes this the right place ;-)

slyz

Developer
It looks like Ruby's problem is not that the Relay Browser shows old content in the main frame, it's that the sidepane doesn't refresh as often as it should.

Ruby Eyes

It does reload after combat, that's the irritating part. You know how the page jumps a little when it reloads? It still does that.

edit: Well, it did. I had this issue with different characters, on different days.
Today everything loads as it should (spend a turn, side pane shows 1 turn subtracted).
I'm wondering if there is another condition that leads to the behaviour that I described yesterday. Will watch this ...

edit edit: It appears this behaviour shows up when I have autoattack set to a combat macro.
It works fine when I do not set autoattack.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It looks like Ruby's problem is not that the Relay Browser shows old content in the main frame, it's that the sidepane doesn't refresh as often as it should.

You're right. I need to stop posting when I am tired.

Ruby Eyes

Well ... I also observed interferences with my fortune cookie script (by antimarty).
The main pane shows that I get 3 tasty tarts.
Left pane reloads and shows X adventures left (provided by mafia), and the cookie counter says [161...201] instead of the usual [160...200].
I scroll down and click that [refresh] link and see X-1 adventures left, and the cookie counter shows proper [160...200] as it should (I forgot to check what the mafia semi counters showed before refreshing, unfortunately).

This shows me that the left side pane DID reload, otherwise the counter wouldn't have updated itself upon seeing the semi.
However, it was indeed 1 turn "behind" and it was not due to any autoattack settings this time ...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
r9724 has not exhibited this yet, and has provided the expected content in the relay browser. Given the recent changes, I suspect this is fixed.

Ruby Eyes

Downloaded r9724 and started it, entered relay browser as soon as it was up.
Saw I have 50 adventures to start with. Went to proper location (in this case Nemesis cave) and spent an adventure.
Main pane refreshed and showed the whole fight (autoattack on macro).
Left side pane refreshed and showed 50 turns.
Clicked "Adventure again."
Main pane refreshed and showed the whole fight (autoattack on macro).
Left side pane refreshed and showed 49 turns.
Manually refreshed using the "[refresh]" link at the bottom.
Left side pane showed 48 turns.

Can't say I'm convinced. :D
I started debug logging when I had 46 turns left (after refreshing the left pane one more time, just to make sure).
Spent a turn, still saw 46 in left pane, log says it got the HTML data saying 45 turns.
Spent a turn, saw 45 in left pane (this is how I'm sure that it actually does refresh - otherwise it wouldn't show different data than before!), log says it got the HTML data saying 44 turns.
Refreshed left pane without spending a turn, log says it got the HTML data saying 44 turns.

The log seems to be as "useful" as the one that jwylot got when he had his clover problem in the item manager.
The data in the "background" was correct, just the displayed data was carp.
And this doesn't have to do with lag either - response time is absolutely fine, when KoL is lagging, mafia just doesn't respond at all for a couple of seconds (or minutes).

Darzil

Developer
I find left panel just doesn't update at the end of a combat. Seems to be that simple to me, can refresh and then it is updated.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Downloaded r9724 and started it, entered relay browser as soon as it was up.

Just out of curiosity, when did you start trying to adventure relative to the time breakfast, login scripts and any other automation at startup had completed? I have seen things get out of synch when those are in progress and I start something new.

Also, just for the record, the observation I made that started *this* thread was that when auto-adventuring stops and the relay browser is then opened the browser displays stale data in the main pane. That is what I did *not* see occurring with r9724.

Ruby Eyes

Just out of curiosity, when did you start trying to adventure relative to the time breakfast, login scripts and any other automation at startup had completed?
No scripts, actually. No breakfast either.
What else can be there?

Also, just for the record, the observation I made that started *this* thread was that when auto-adventuring stops and the relay browser is then opened the browser displays stale data in the main pane. That is what I did *not* see occurring with r9724.
Good news then :)
So it is indeed a slightly unrelated problem.
Well, if this means posting all that crap *yet* again, then screw it.

I find left panel just doesn't update at the end of a combat. Seems to be that simple to me, can refresh and then it is updated.
You did not actually read what I posted, no?

i was noticing today while adventuring in the relay browser that the sidepane seemed to be lagged by 1 turn.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
OK. Do we agree that the main pane, especially when first invoked after auto-adventuring is up to date but the char pane is still lagging by one? I can watch for the latter.

No need to retype info. We should just keep this open until the char pane is dealt with as well.