Bug - Fixed Relay Browser Frame size in Fernswarthy's Basement

punchee

Center (adventure?) frame size is too large in relay browser and cannot be resized. Possibly because of candy choices in item list.

occurs in 9724 and 9711. Tested in FF and Chrome.
To reproduce, open relay browser and go to ferns.

Whack

Annoying table stretch/break in Fernswarthy's basement

I'm fairly sure this is a KoLmafia thing, but whenever I go down into the basement I always get this table stretching, as shown in the image below.

http://i.imgur.com/nHlea.jpg

It's annoying having to scroll the page to the right every time for 500 basement levels. Is it just me, or do other people get this stretching as well? Is there any way to stop it? I can see it's caused by the Farmer candy, the Good Fun rice candy, and all that Crimbo stuff, but I don't know why this is showing up now, instead of all the other times I went basement diving.

Winterbay

It is showing up because not that logn ago some other sources for "sugar rush" was added to Mafia instead of just Farmer candy. My guess is you haven't done a basement run between before then and now and thus only notice it now. There currently is no way to avoid it, but you could use the autoBasement-script to run the basement for you which would mean you wouldn't have to see it :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It is just so fucking annoying. After all - the reason KoLmafia exists is to fucking annoy you.
Isn't it just SO fucking annoying?
Fuck it.

Whack

It is showing up because not that logn ago some other sources for "sugar rush" was added to Mafia instead of just Farmer candy. My guess is you haven't done a basement run between before then and now and thus only notice it now. There currently is no way to avoid it, but you could use the autoBasement-script to run the basement for you which would mean you wouldn't have to see it :)

This is a thing that exists? I must search for it!

Edit: Aha, having an outfit with "damage" in the name allows me to automatically switch to that one! Thank you for forcing me to actually bother to look!

Should I report the table break in the bugs section?

D-d-d-double edit!

It is just so fucking annoying. After all - the reason KoLmafia exists is to fucking annoy you.
Isn't it just SO fucking annoying?
Fuck it.

I've yet to find a way to fuck computer programs, but with the way current technology is developing, I'm sure somebody has it in the works.

The only annoying thing is the lack of breakfast options to auto-cast Rainbow Gravitation. Also it takes a really long time to load, and sometimes it doesn't cast the right buffs when autobalancing, and I don't see any options to have the program do my ascensions for me (have to use BCC script but I haven't yet).

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
Haha, did you actually pile on more annoying things?

All the things you cite have a reason:
- Rainbow Gravitation needs ingredients, however you can use Bale's Rainbow Gravitation script.
- It takes a long time to load because it needs to visit a bunch of pages to find out the whole state of your character (inventory, storage, etc...). Mafia uses KoL's api.php as much as possible, but if you want it to load faster, you should petition CDM so more info is added to api.php.
- What do you call "the right buffs"? Mafia will extend buffs that are in your mood, except the combat rate buffs. If you don't have a mood, it casts whatever you know. If you want to tweak mana burning further, try JasonHarper's Pyromania
- Mafia doesn't have a built-in ascender. That is a complicated thing to script. Fortunately, as with much other things you find annoying, Mafia simply adds the possibility for users to script this kind of thing.

Regarding the wide table, we could either remove some sources for Sugar Rush, or someone can come up with some clever HTML to make the table respect the main frame's width (eventually making it horizontally scrollable).

Whack

Haha, did you actually pile on more annoying things?

...yes. I don't think any of them are valid, but I had to fill space. Nevertheless, you have shot me down, which is impressive because I didn't think anybody was going to.

Not sure if this is helpful, but here's some code to wrap it all in a div to add a horizontal scroll bar. It appears that the horizontal scroll is always there and if the content goes past the width of the horizontal scroll, you have to scroll horizontally first to see the vertical scroll. So like I said, maybe it's not helpful...

Code:
<form>
<div style="overflow-x:scroll; width:20%; overflow: -moz-scrollbars-horizontal;">
<SELECT multiple size=5>
<OPTION>Option 1</OPTION>
<OPTION>Option 2</OPTION>
<OPTION>Option 3</OPTION>
<OPTION>Option 4 with some filler text to make the scroll bar work</OPTION>
<OPTION>Option 5</OPTION>
<OPTION>Option 6</OPTION>
<OPTION>Option 7</OPTION>
</SELECT>
</div>
</form>

Winterbay

Word of advice: Using the word 'annoying' is not going to help your cause. Using it twice makes it even less likely that anyone with enough powers will take an interest.

matt.chugg

edit the basics.css found in your relay folder and override the the styles yourself.

Code:
#gear, #potion {
	width:700px !important;
}

or whatever width you want it to be. or use max-width, or various other options.

Last edited:

DoctorRotelle

Developer
I've been looking at this issue myself. I see your workaround and I'm not sure we want to have static numbers for the width, 700px certainly doesn't work in my instance since I don't run FF in full screen. I have had success using "width: 100% !important;" instead of "width:700px !important;", I'm curious why you'd want to define it statically. I'm not sure why using !important seems to be necessary for this to function, but it is for me with FF. What does it really do? Does this mean IE6 users will still have problems? Do we care about IE6 users? My understanding of CSS formatting is rather limited (and yes, i did review the info on a couple sites), so if you can help me to understand it in this context, I'll add it to the project.

I'm still not convinced we need to have the #gear tag either. KoL limits the size of outfit names enough to keep this item rather short, and having all those click-able things next to the exec buttons is begging for me to make a mistake.

An additional issue I saw when trying various things in the css file is we don't purge or overwrite the .js & .css files when we have newer versions in the .jar available. This could lead to the change not being actualized for users unless they manually delete the .css file. Perhaps one of the other devs familiar with the updating code can look into this part of the issue.

Finding this thread made my day. I had begun to wonder if I was the only one affected. Seeing as this issue will affect everyone, it is worth some close attention.

holatuwol

Developer
#gear in CSS refers to 'element with id = gear', which is another of the dropdowns on the basement helper.

Bale

Minion
DoctorRotelle, I'm happy to know you're working on this. This issue is not at all annoying, but it does negatively impact the helpfulness of the basement helper. I've long since gotten my full telescope, but I still like to do a basement run once a year (usually at Crimbo when I've incidentally gotten a high level) so I'm hoping you have success before I delve down once more.

matt.chugg

I've been looking at this issue myself. I see your workaround and I'm not sure we want to have static numbers for the width, 700px certainly doesn't work in my instance since I don't run FF in full screen. I have had success using "width: 100% !important;" instead of "width:700px !important;", I'm curious why you'd want to define it statically. I'm not sure why using !important seems to be necessary for this to function, but it is for me with FF. What does it really do? Does this mean IE6 users will still have problems? Do we care about IE6 users? My understanding of CSS formatting is rather limited (and yes, i did review the info on a couple sites), so if you can help me to understand it in this context, I'll add it to the project.

I'm still not convinced we need to have the #gear tag either. KoL limits the size of outfit names enough to keep this item rather short, and having all those click-able things next to the exec buttons is begging for me to make a mistake.

An additional issue I saw when trying various things in the css file is we don't purge or overwrite the .js & .css files when we have newer versions in the .jar available. This could lead to the change not being actualized for users unless they manually delete the .css file. Perhaps one of the other devs familiar with the updating code can look into this part of the issue.

Finding this thread made my day. I had begun to wonder if I was the only one affected. Seeing as this issue will affect everyone, it is worth some close attention.

I didn't bother playing too much as it didn't seem like a major issue, 700px works for me, since the style is an override anyone can set it to whatever works for them.

!important is necesary in this instance to override an inline style, since inline styles usually take priority over stylesheets

I don't think we want the css to update based on the build (well I personally wouldn't), I see it more for people to use to manually set ther own styles, in the same way as I did for the basement maximiser. It means people can define the way things look based on their personal preference!

if this is to be fixed in a build then you'll have to modify the inline styles in the code, or remove them and just define them in the stylesheet if its decided to make the stylesheet update per release.

matt.chugg

Committed build 9819.
Still requires a manual delete of previous basics.css file from the relay folder.

if you remove the inline styles in basementdecorator, you won't need the !important in the stylesheet

Code:
style=\"width: auto\"

or change it to the percentage value which will then fix for everyone with a new build without them having to manually delete and update the css. The css will then still alow overrides using !important

(if doing this, then technically there should be a semi-colon after the css value width:100%; )

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Code:
style=\"width: auto\"

or change it to the percentage value which will then fix for everyone with a new build without them having to manually delete and update the css. The css will then still alow overrides using !important

(if doing this, then technically there should be a semi-colon after the css value width:100%; )
This seems like the right solution: if the problem is caused by us putting a bad style on the dropdown, then, rather than putting on a bad style and then fixing it in an included .css file, just fix the style.

(I don't know CSS or Javascript, so KoLmafia's built-in .js and .css files in the /relay directory are black magic, to me. Thanks for the analysis, matt.chugg!)