Bug - Fixed Reading the McGuffin Diary does not set the proper quest flags/preferences

jhaendar

Hi all. I'm using a Kasekopf's loopgyou script to automate my daily grey you runs.
Starting on August 20th, the script aborted when reading the mcguffin diary because some of the quest flags were not correctly set. I have experienced this every day (20, 21, 22). I have attached the relevant logs of the three days I experienced the bug.

To fix the issue, I have tried reading the diary manually, refreshing all, visiting the council, and exiting mafia completely. Sometimes a simple refresh all would do the trick, other times I had to log out twice.

Also, at least one autoscend user reported the same bug so it should not be a script issue.

Attachments

• Jhaendar_20220820-summary.txt
    13 KB · Views: 1
  • Jhaendar_20220821-summary.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Jhaendar_20220822-summary.txt
    50 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Can you link to this script? The closest thing I could find was apparently incomplete.

What revision of Mafia were you running? Can you provide a "last good revision" (whatever you ran on Aug 19) and a "first bad revision" (Aug 20), since it seems like you're running through this every day?

Other thing to check up-front: is the autoQuest preference set to true (the default value)? `get autoQuest` in the graphical CLI should suffice. (That aspect of the code didn't change, but worth checking anyways.)

From the logs, I see the following updates:
Preference questL11Black changed from step2 to step3
Preference crystalBallPredictions changed from 97:The Black Forest:black adder to
> Macguffin/Diary not completed!
<I assume the following lines were triggered by manually reading the diary, since this lines up with UseItemRequest.handleDiary>
Preference questL11Worship changed from unstarted to step1
Preference questL11Desert changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Shen changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Ron changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Manor changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11MacGuffin changed from step1 to step2
Preference questL11Black changed from step3 to finished

@Veracity I see r26670 (from Aug 19th) interacted with the diary in several ways, including how we auto-use the diary after acquiring it (instead of posting it to RequestThread, we run it inline). Could that have caused this?

jhaendar

Here is the link to the script: https://github.com/Kasekopf/loop-casual/tree/gyou

Here are the mafia versions:
Aug. 19: r26660 <- good (I can provide the log snippet for this if you want)
Aug. 20: r26672
Aug. 21: r26676
Aug. 22: r26682

I have not run the script yet today. I'll update with another log if it happens again

Here is the result of get autoquest (running r26689):
Code:
> get autoQuest

true

Magus_Prime

I've noticed some weirdness with the diary, and general L11 quest stage oddness recently as well, and I attributed it to Fall of the Dinosaurs quest processing not being handled yet, but I just got to L11 in a Journeyman run, on an alt, and am also seeing unexpected behavior.

Visiting the quest log, in the relay browser didn't fix it but exiting KoLmafia and restarting did.

No scripts involved. Just manually adventuring via the relay browser.

Manendra

I've run into this while running loopcasual ( https://github.com/Kasekopf/loop-casual ) the last couple days. Digging a bit, it looks like the culprit is mafia no longer reading the diary automatically when you get it. Or at least it isn't updating the prefs, even if it is hitting that URL. Loopcasual does not read the diary manually, and the last few days, my logs show that the diary isn't getting read when I receive it.

It looks like this change to that bit of code was merged the same time the issue started: https://github.com/kolmafia/kolmafi...6ce27076df3ebce1bd1b2363c15cf7216c2c14c783ccb

Log Before (8/19/22):
Code:
You acquire an item: your father's MacGuffin diary

diary.php?textversion=1
Preference questL11MacGuffin changed from step1 to step2
Preference questL11Black changed from step3 to finished
Preference questL11Desert changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Manor changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Shen changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Ron changed from unstarted to started
Preference questL11Worship changed from unstarted to started
> Macguffin/Diary completed!

Log After (8/20/22):
Code:
You acquire an item: your father's MacGuffin diary
> Macguffin/Diary not completed!

I don't understand mafia well enough to see what exactly is causing it with that change, though.