Bug - Cannot Reproduce r20731 forgot all of my settings

VladYvhuce

Hello. Just downloaded and started up r20731. And it forgot my password and 99% of my preferences. I had to re-build them all.

philmasterplus

I just updated my KoLmafia to r20731 and my passwords and preferences were still there.

Did you try launching the version of KoLmafia you were using before r20731? Did you check the settings/ directory?

We can debug problems better if you give us more info :)

VladYvhuce

No, I no longer had the old version. I have a habit of deleting them after downloading the new version. I didn't check the directory, either. All I did was download the file, open it, and found that almost all of my settings had been restored to default, and proceeded to reconfigure it back to where it had been, more or less.

Magus_Prime

The described behavior can happen when the settings file for the character becomes corrupt. The only "fix" at that point it to restore from backup. When it has happened to me a sure-fire indicator of corruption, beyond the issues described, is that the settings file, dramatically, increases in size.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The described behavior can also occur when KoLmafia is run from a different directory. My settings remain intact with r20731

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Noted. However, the new file was in the same directory as the old one had been in.
OK. Someone else has marked this as cannot reproduce and I concur. File corruption can cause the problem but file corruption is out of KoLmafia's control. Last time it happened to me my computer shut down due to a power loss.

VladYvhuce

Process of elimination can be a good way of figuring out a potential cause for someone who may not be as tech-savvy, like me. It seems that we can agree on file corruption and put the issue to bed, yes?