Question about the wiki's Master Function List

Aventuristo

First: Is this the right place to post questions about the wiki?
Second: I notice the Master Function List has entries in two different styles. Are all the entries supposed to be in one style, and if not, when would I use one or the other? Thanks.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I see that there are typos, but mostly 464 Flink macro and 27 FunctionEmbed macros.

There's code in the Talk page Frono mentions to generate a list, which could probably be enhanced to actually generate the page and added to the milestone release process (with ad-hoc runs if we need/want it).

Flink is the 2010 style. @philmasterplus created FunctionEmbed last December. Phil, can you talk about why we needed FunctionEmbed? I sorta prefer the Flink style, but mostly I like consistency.

philmasterplus

I was trying to single-source the function call signatures so that we wouldn't have to edit multiple pages (master function list, function category page, the function page itself) to add/change a function signature. I took a page from how the KoL wiki handles data-driven item/monster pages and created [[Template:Function2]].

For example, if you look at the wiki source code of [[Miscellaneous Functions]] and [[Ash Functions]], you'll see that the call signature for property_exists() is pulled directly from the [[property_exists]] page. [[Template:FunctionEmbed]] is a template that does the high-level pulling & rendering.

The new style is my personal preference. I've seen many software documentation where monospace font is used to denote code and proportional font for prose.

Unfortunately, I got exhausted after converting ~20 function pages and moved on to other projects. I had it in mind to finish the conversion someday, but it would take a long time, seeing as ASH now has ~700 functions including all overloaded forms. I have a huge backlog so I don't know if I'll ever get around to updating the wiki again.

I believe you can still use Template:Flink. If you desire consistency, I encourage you to revert the stuff.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I'm fine with the font, what I was preferring was the single link without a link to data types for the parameters. It's not a hard preference, especially since I don't use it. Mostly I wanted to understand the motivation.

I like the idea, but I don't want the users to have two different experiences. So, if FunctionEmbed had the same display as Flink, the differences would only be for editors.

And since we can generate that list, we can probably also transform it into proper wikiText, so you don't have to convert every line of code.