Feature Quest 13 -- Tower Automation

I personally feel like the tower quest could use a little love. Currently, we only have three distinct ash functions that do the tower.

First, we have the boolean entryway(). It would be nice if this could be changed to "item entryway()" like the guardians() function. That way it would return the item missing, which it already does in the cli so I think it would be somewhat simple.

Also, it would be nice if it had a boolean parameter. If set to true, it would do lucky entryway, if false it would do unlucky and if not defined just do what it does now. So the new function would look like
Code:
item entryway(boolean clover_use)

Second, we have the boolean hedgemaze() function. This one is fine except I find it odd that it doesn't actually get the puzzle pieces. I guess the golems are considered hard so Mafia leaves out the puzzle piece acquisition? If that is the case, it could have a boolean parameter that if set to true would get the pieces itself; otherwise, just do what it does now.

Third, we have the item guardians() function, which I love that it returns which item I need to get. However, I hate that it doesn't stop at just the guardians. Instead, it will continue on trying to complete the entire tower which already has a function that does that, boolean chamber(). It acts the same as guardians(), but doesn't return the items.

What I would suggest is making the guardians() function only deal with the guardians. And then I would like to see the chamber() function have the option to do "Tower to Shadow" or "Tower Complete". These two are already options in the cli Quest menu. However, I can not figure out how to call the "Tower to Shadow" function without selecting it from the Quest menu. The wiki nor "help tower" gives any insight as to what calls the "Tower to Shadow". I tried various things in the cli like "Tower to Shadow", "Tower (to Shadow)", and "Tower Shadow". All of them invoked the "Tower Complete" Quest.

On a side note, how many healing items does KoLMafia require before it attempts the shadow? It seems like the minimum would be 5 gauze garters/filthy poultices, since they heal a minimum of 80 and the shadow has 400 HP but it won't attempt it even if I have 6.

Anyways, thanks for reading :).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Apparently there's a lot to hate about mafia's tower handling...

On a side note, how many healing items does KoLMafia require before it attempts the shadow? It seems like the minimum would be 5 gauze garters/filthy poultices, since they heal a minimum of 80 and the shadow has 400 HP but it won't attempt it even if I have 6.

6 is enough for mafia to automate the shadow fight.

Fluxxdog

The entryway would probably be better returning an array of items, since you could need more than one. The 3 different potions, 6 different keys, 3 different instruments, you get the idea. Since the mariachis can accept a variety of items, a flag item would probably be best. I know mafia likes to try using a bone rattle, and the stolen accordion is simple enough to get, what about the stringed instrument?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
4 RPP is enough, and KoLmafia knows it, but if you want to spend that many extra turns collecting pixels, go wild!

I always get 6 garters or poultices from the war. I don't let KoLmafia do the shadow fight for me, but funkslinging two at a time, it's always over in three rounds.

Apparently there's a lot to hate about mafia's tower handling...

I wouldn't say hate, just think it could improved/updated :). The only things I could say I hate about it is the guardians() function attempting to do the entire tower, seems very strange since that is not what the function name depicts and there is already a function that does the entire tower. Also, I "hate" the fact I can't figure out how to call the "Tower to Shadow" which is more of a lack of information (and the fact it doesn't have an obvious function call). Besides that, I'd say it does a really good job :).

Since the mariachis can accept a variety of items, a flag item would probably be best. I know mafia likes to try using a bone rattle, and the stolen accordion is simple enough to get, what about the stringed instrument?
It likes using the acoustic guitarrr from below decks which is pretty easy to get.

As for the garters/poultices, maybe I only had 5 and missed counted. As of now, I have it set up to do it with 5 by funk slinging the first two rounds and using one the 3rd round, but I might just have it get 6 and let mafia handle it.

Bale

Minion
I always get 6 garters or poultices from the war. I don't let KoLmafia do the shadow fight for me, but funkslinging two at a time, it's always over in three rounds.

It shouldn't take more than 5 of them to kill the shadow, so it would be nice if mafia didn't insist on 6 of them. I don't bother doing it manually if I have funkslinging so it would be nice if mafia didn't insist I get the 5th. I only do it manually when am in a path where I can only throw one item at a time.

Since the mariachis can accept a variety of items, a flag item would probably be best. I know mafia likes to try using a bone rattle, and the stolen accordion is simple enough to get, what about the stringed instrument?

If I didn't pick up a guitarrr or something on the way, I try to have a clover left over to make a stone banjo.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It shouldn't take more than 5 of them to kill the shadow, so it would be nice if mafia didn't insist on 6 of them.

My last effort at that, before Veracity gave me commit access, resulted in this. I'm personally just waiting for Jick to burn down the current tower.

Bale

Minion
I'm personally just waiting for Jick to burn down the current tower.

Oh Goddess, YES! Since I got my last tower monster factoid (it took 36 ascensions) I have been praying for its demise every 3 months. Jick says he hates it. He said that Bugbear Invasion was a test of replacing the tower. Why won't he kill it already! The Tower just isn't up to par with the current state of the game and the last act is too memorable to be so shitty.