Bug Puzzling message:

Ethelred

After getting my dingy planks and using my dingy plans, the first time I went to the inventory link, I found this output int the gGLI window:

Code:
[292] White Citadel
Encounter: Summer Holiday
You acquire an item: White Citadel Satisfaction Satchel
You acquire an item: lucky rabbit's foot
You acquire chewing gum on a string (2)
You spent 100 Meat
You acquire an item: hermit permit
You spent 100 Meat
You acquire an item: Hollandaise helmet
You acquire an item: worthless knick-knack
You acquire an item: dingy planks
You acquire an item: dingy dinghy
[COLOR=red]You need some dingy planks.[/COLOR]

The main interface window had switched from green to red at this point as well. I'm not certain I see this every ascension, but I have seen it before. A similar situation often arises with the Talisman o' Nam, where I get the message "Using 1 gaudy key doesn't make anything useful." after checking my inventory after mafia has used 2 gaudy keys and made the Talisman o' Nam. I think there's at least one other situation where this happens, but I can't recall is at the moment. This is mainly a cosmetic bug as far as I'm concerned and is certainly a low priority, but I've been curious for some time about what might be causing it.

Kolmafia release: KoLmafia-9708M.jar

I'm currently using release 9708, but this has been happening for several months now.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I've seen the gaudy key message where it tells me about a failure that wasn't. I seem to recall there may have been a message about creation results not detected as well but that recollection could be faulty.

Theraze

If the messages, annoy you, turn off the autocreation preference. Basically, you're trying to build something manually that the code is already building automatically...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
If the messages, annoy you, turn off the autocreation preference. Basically, you're trying to build something manually that the code is already building automatically...

Could be but in this case maguffin is merely adventuring to obtain the Tailsman o' Nam so that would suggest there is an interaction between the autocreation preference and the things mafia does when you adventure with Tailsman as a goal. As far as I can tell maguffin is not trying to build anything manually...

Theraze

In that case, it's an issue between the goal-creation and the autocreation that happens when the items are available, as I think was discussed in the LONG thread that involved this earlier.

The easy way to avoid it is to change your requested goal to the gaudy keys and use them when you have them ready... but yeah. Possible way to fix this... track if it's currently in a creation request and don't try to do automated creation until it finishes and refreshes the inventory after? Though if it's refreshing part way through, that'd still be a no-go.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My solution was to make mafia use gaudy keys when I have 2 of them, then make the talisman right after that. I think the reason for not doing that is that it would interfere with a particular goal being set for the zone?

Theraze

If mafia auto-converts the gaudy keys, it will never be able to meet a 2 gaudy key goal, because the converting of the key happens before it considers the goal to be met. Unfortunately. That was the issue that came up last time this was looked at. If memory serves, the current issue happens because if you have 2 gaudy keys and try to go straight to creating the talisman, it autocreates the talisman while you're manually creating the talisman, and as such there aren't enough snakeheads to create 2 talismans... definitely a mafia bug, but it's caused by manually deciding to create an auto-created item, so something that seems like it either shouldn't be able to happen or should be considered somehow else. Not sure... does creation have awareness of the eventual item goal as it's making the components? If so, we could probably have it skip auto-creating if the manual goal is the dinghy or talisman.

Ruby Eyes

Mafia pastes the talisman automagically for me, similarly the badass belt and the intragalactic rowboat.
However, last I checked, it does not automagically use the dinghy plans, I have to do that manually - and I've seen the message mentioned in the first post, too.

Ethelred

Here's another instance of a puzzling message that appears under circumstances similar to those described in the first post. This time I was adventuring in the giant's castle. I turned the wheel to the map quest position, used the giant castle map, let mafia build the intragalactic rowbot, verified in the relay browser that the Hole in the Sky was open (just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me), spent 3 more adventures in the castle to turn the wheel back to moxie, and left. I went to the spooky forest to start working on opening the spooky temple, got the quest coin, and noticed it was time to drink my nightcap. When I clicked on the inventory link in the relay browser, the message in red showed up.

Code:
[848] Giant's Castle
Encounter: Wheel in the Clouds in the Sky, Keep On Turning

[849] Spooky Forest
Encounter: Arboreal Respite
Encounter: Consciousness of a Stream
You gain 300 Meat
You acquire an item: tree-holed coin

[850] Spooky Forest
Encounter: warwelf
Round 0: Ethelred wins initiative!
Round 0: Ethelred tries to steal an item! (auto-attack)
Round 2: Randy teaches you the subtle differences between an ironic moustache and a regular ol' creepy moustache. You feel a little more moxious.
You gain 3 Smarm
Round 2: Ethelred attacks!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3 but KoL thinks it is round 2
Round 3: warwelf takes 99 damage.
Round 3: Randy pulls off one of his mismatched argyle socks (that he was wearing ironically under a pair of flip-flops) and wraps it around one of your wounds. Aaaaah.
You gain 27 hit points
Round 3: Ethelred wins the fight!
You gain 13 Meat
You gain 2 Strongness
You gain 1 Wizardliness
You gain 5 Sarcasm
You acquire an effect: Ode to Booze (duration: 15 Adventures)
[COLOR=#FF0000]You couldn't make it all the way to the back door.[/COLOR]

Mafia release: KoLmafia-9711M.jar

Ruby Eyes

r9755
edit: it's 9742, forgot I went back to older version ...

I've seen this again, on several occassions where items are being used up/pasted, and just now again after getting the rowboat (autocreated by mafia) and I went to see my inventory.
Yesterday, I used a divine chapagne flute to drink something, hit the inventory link in the top pane again (yes, I'm disorganized like that) and got a red "Consumption helper failed." in the gcli.

These messages seem to show up usually as soon I hit the inventory in relay (turning my mafia char pane window red). Maybe some checks on certain actions/goals are performed upon doing so?

Last edited:

Ethelred

r9755
edit: it's 9742, forgot I went back to older version ...

These messages seem to show up usually as soon I hit the inventory in relay (turning my mafia char pane window red). Maybe some checks on certain actions/goals are performed upon doing so?

Yes, that's usually the case for me as well. When I click the inventory link in the top panel of the relay browser, if one of these puzzling situations has occurred, the main interface changes to red and I get the erroroneous message, also in red, in the gCLI. I'm currently using KoLmafia-9745M.jar and still get these messages.

Last edited:

Terion

I've seen this myself. Just now, in r9782, I got it after opening the Hidden Temple -- I bought the spooky sapling, then clicked the decorator Use link when I completed the adventure. Temple opened up fine; then when I went to Inventory in the relay, I got the red char pane and You don't have everything you need. in the CLI:
Code:
[626] Spooky Forest
Encounter: Arboreal Respite
Encounter: The Road Less Traveled
Encounter: Tree's Last Stand
Encounter: Tree's Last Stand
You gain 75 Meat
Encounter: spooky sapling
You spent 100 Meat
You acquire an item: spooky sapling
You don't have everything you need.

I believe I've seen it occur after auto-creation of things like the badass belt and Talisman-O-Nam. I'll probably be making the talisman later tonight, so I'll edit if it occurs there. Edit: It didn't happen for the Talisman, but I went to my inventory via a /go chat command, not clicking on a drop-down option, if it makes a difference; didn't see your post, Theraze, so I didn't check that -- I used each gaudy key via chat /use, and Mafia autocreated the talisman after the second key was used. I'll keep it in mind, though.

Last edited:

Theraze

If you create the talisman through the gCLI, you should see it go red. It's when it autocreates an explicitly created item. At least in the case of the talisman. :)