Bug - Cannot Reproduce Preferences not saved

stannius

Sometimes my preferences are not saved when I exit kolmafia. I haven't noticed an error message (I usually don't notice it's happened until partway through my next session the following day).

OS is Windows7. Always using the latest daily build.

Unfortunately I don't have any repro steps, at all, but thought i'd report it in case there is something noticeable like an exception being swallowed. I'm glad to answer any questions or perform experiments.

stannius

I did check this morning that there wasn't an extra instance running. However, presumably the problem would have happened yesterday.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've never had this problem. Of course, I have saveSettingsOnSet=true, which writes the preferences file every time something changes.

That IS the default. Apparently, you turned it off. Yes, we are supposed to save the preferences on exit, for those who have chosen to run that way, and perhaps our "failure to exit correctly" issues have something to do with this, but you can easily protect yourself by setting that preference to the default value. Go to Preferences/General and check "Save options to disk whenever they change".

This bug report is probably a duplicate of "KoLmafia doesn't exit correctly sometimes" reports we have here.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK. I guess this is Non Reproducible, then, until/unless you can come up with additional information.

Whenever a preference is Set, KoLmafia writes the settings file. If you log off and some settings are not correctly set, the Save failed to occur back when you set them, not when you logged off.

Please explain exactly which Preference was, supposedly, set while you were logged in that did not end up making it to your file. In particular, when you say "I usually don't notice it's happened until partway through my next session the following day", what, exactly, is it that "you notice happened"? What is the symptom that leads you to conclude a setting was not saved?

Last edited:

stannius

Yeah, I didn't really think there was much you could do about this.

Settings I have noticed affected by this:
choice adventures
hp & mp recovery preferences
bcasc_ settings

Bale

Minion
Yeah, I didn't really think there was much you could do about this.

Settings I have noticed affected by this:
choice adventures
hp & mp recovery preferences
bcasc_ settings

I might be barking up a tree, but what method did you use to change the preferences that weren't saved? Was it by CLI command, drop-down dialogue, editing text file, other?

stannius

I might be barking up a tree, but what method did you use to change the preferences that weren't saved? Was it by CLI command, drop-down dialogue, editing text file, other?

choice adventures, hp & mp recovery preferences => I have noticed this both when using the UI, and once when I copied the files off a thumb drive into an existing directory.

bcasc_ settings => via the relay browser script

Bale

Minion
bcasc_settings? Is that bumcheekcity's ascension script settings? Are those saved as KoLmafia preferences?