Feature - Implemented Pop-up Relay Browser window instead of Mini-browser window

Theraze

No... it's not a problem that mafia is doing exactly what kitsunegami requested... it's showing all requests in mini-browser windows.

The real freq I think is to have there be a mini-browser/relay-browser choice for abort/errors as a preference, rather then forcing one or the other...

holatuwol

Developer
There seems to be problem with this. When it happens during a script which requests adventures one at a time, it loops which open A LOT of windows.
If you don't mind me asking ... why is it looping into an error state all the time?

I also resist adding preferences to the bitter end, and way before I'd add a preference for this, I'd add something which replaced browser window opening with chat AJAX that reloaded your current frame if it had any suspicion that a chat URL had been requested in the last 10 seconds.

icon315

If you don't mind me asking ... why is it looping into an error state all the time?
I have no idea.....maybe since when mafia aborts, it only aborts the current action. So when it aborted the current adventure, the script went on to the next adventure. Which also gave the error, and so on.

Theraze

Shouldn't... an abort should stop all further adventuring. Unless you put it into a try/finally, in which case that's your fault.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You know, when my ascending multi reached Mother Slime #29 today, it showed the choice adventure in my Relay Browser, just as I expected - but it is as if it opened a new window, rather than reusing the existing one: I had been in chat, but the window with the Mother Slime choice adventure did not have chat. It was not a new window, per se - it replaced the existing window; the old one and its chat no longer existed. No big deal since I was my private clan running the slime tube and /clan was completely silent. But my main's /clan DOES have activity, and I would have been unhappy to be booted out of chat.

I am running Safari 5.0.3 on Mac OSX 10.6.6. I do not have Safari configured to open things in tabs.

Safari preferences are at the default:
General: New windows open with Empty Page (as opposed to, for example, "Same Page", whatever that means.)
Tabs: Open pages in tabs instead of windows: Never (as opposed to Automatically or Always)

If it is possible to have the emergency/error page reuse the center frame of my existing KoL Relay Browser, that would be the best, in my opinion. Otherwise, if it will pop it into a new window or tab, that would be OK for MY uses - but I'd presumably need to configure my browser to do that. Somehow.

Since some people actually run mafia without using the relay browser (GASP!) I think that this should remain an option so that those people aren't troubled by mafia suddenly interacting with their non-mafia browser. This could be a secret feature like the chatBeep preference or else it would fit nicely on the "Browser" tab in preferences, right under Preferred web browser. (Open emergency requests in relay browser.)
This is from the original Feature Request. I'm inclined to agree it could/should be controlled by a preference, as originally suggested.

Last edited:

holatuwol

Developer
I can imagine that a preference would be useful until the one time the relay browser overrides a long kmail you were writing, and then you'd be back to the request sync forever because that's the way people treat most of KoLmafia's preferences (and one of the many reasons I hate adding them). Maybe we shouldn't be popping anything at all, and we should instead just broadcast a message saying, "Something bad happened, click on this link to load the problematic request." It would appear in chat and the CLI, and you could click on the link and it would always load the relay browser so you get all the decorations and fun stuff (and if you were in relay chat, it would have target=mainpane so that problem's solved).

How's that sound?

Bale

Minion
Sounds reasonable to me. I don't like pop-up windows or browser surprises and would be glad to have control over that.

kitsunegami

I can imagine that a preference would be useful until the one time the relay browser overrides a long kmail you were writing, and then you'd be back to the request sync forever because that's the way people treat most of KoLmafia's preferences (and one of the many reasons I hate adding them). Maybe we shouldn't be popping anything at all, and we should instead just broadcast a message saying, "Something bad happened, click on this link to load the problematic request." It would appear in chat and the CLI, and you could click on the link and it would always load the relay browser so you get all the decorations and fun stuff (and if you were in relay chat, it would have target=mainpane so that problem's solved).

How's that sound?
That would be awesome. And my wife seconds the opinion. 8o)

Bale

Minion
Small criticism. This is no biggie, but...

[287] Defiled Nook
Encounter: Pileup
Manual control requested for choice #156
An unexpected error has occurred.

A request for manual control isn't an unexpected error. I love the way that this works, but I do think the wording is misleading. That should probably say "Click here to continue in the relay browser."