Bug - Fixed Pigsticker of Violence messes up maximizer results

Crowther

There's lots of examples of this in KoL - for years, every monster in KoL had to be hand-entered into their database. Then someone went "hey, Jick, we should have a program that does this for us" so they wrote a monster spooler that prompts you for all the esoteric stuff that each monster needs (see: wax lips messages). Now, relatively few monsters show up with missing info because they have a tool that does the heavy lifting, but this was not always the case.
I started to mention those tools in my previous post, but decided to keep it simple. One thing about the "lazy" method is you have less human error. When we are dealing with data collection I always take the side of reducing the workload for those doing the field work, because the more work they do, the more mistakes creep in.

I think his tool of desire is VI if I remember correctly or possibly Emacs, one of those two.

It's actually vim, which is a vastly improved "vi clone".

When you open a file in vim, it creates a "swapfile" (a file named .<original-filename>.swp), whose presence tells them that "someone is working on that file in vim". On a radio show several years ago. Jick claimed that that was their preferred tool for "collaboration and version control" :)

I don't know whether this is still the case; I'd imagine CDM "helping" them to at least keep their source code in a version control system.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
vim is "version control"? Uh...

Yes - let us hope that CDM helped them get some real version control.

bsander

Well, I submitted a bug report and got this response form Gemelli:

Per Jick, it's working correctly as designed, but the normal combat messages are a bit misleading. Thanks for checking :)

--Gem

I doublechecked and nothing has changed, it's still a ranged weapon with a hit chance based on muscle. Apparently it's also not a bug, so what now?

Fluxxdog

It's treated as a -melee weapon for adding ranged weapon damage, but acts as a +melee weapon for hit/damage calculation.

As far as I can tell, -melee is intended for moxie-to-hit based weapons, which has been consistently ranged weapons until now. Because of this, this isn't really a Bug in mafia, but New Content. Support would either make one exception for the Pigsticker in the Maximizer or add data to all weapons as to which stats they use to hit with in preparation for future "Jick screws with mafia" releases.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When Jick says "it's working correctly as designed", I do not believe that he added new code, just for this weapon, which makes it act differently than every single other weapon in the game. There must be new or existing code which allows them to separate things out as Fluxxdog says and either there will be other weapons like it in the future, or this weapon was a mistake, Jicks's statement notwithstanding, and he couldn't be bothered to fix it.

Fluxxdog

Heh, we should ask him on the radio show if he plans to add more muscle based ranged weapons or maybe moxie based melee weapons.