Native Windows (x86) KoLmafia.exe

Palinathas

Very possible, I didn't really worry too much about it, but I know he got an error that he needed to install Java, and a link. On the Java page itself it explains that Java doesn't work on Windows 8. Or at least it did explain that, now it works.

Theraze

I'm on Win8 Pro, which is x86 based. Your son is probably on Win8 RT, which is ARM based. Win8 RT didn't have Java. Win8 Pro runs all that x86 stuff including Java fine. Slowly, but fine. :)

Palinathas

Ahh, sounds good, makes sense. I'm actually a little embarrassed that I hadn't researched this better, I'm actually in IT- but I don't deal with modern Windows much, mostly XP. Doesn't help that I don't LIKE Win8, so I haven't really tried to use it much. I prefer DOS truth be told.

I'm migrating to a new laptop (Lenovo y410p, enjoying it greatly), and something curious is happening, it doesn't seem to want to allow use of the runtimes. I simply transferred my entire mafia folder over to the new laptop, and double clicking on the .exe caused nothing to happen. I tried downloading mafia and the runtimes again, and for some reason the runtimes wont extract. For each file 7zip simply says that it can't extract. It's not even creating the /rt folder. Mafia extracts fine, however. I'm on Windows 8.

Theraze

If your mafia folder is in Program Files, 7zip may be failing to promote you to Admin. Or your UAC settings may just disallow it. Easiest lazy-fix is to either put the mafia folder somewhere easily writable (your desktop, for example) or to allow Everyone (or just your user account) at least Modify rights, if you don't like throwing Full Control at problems that don't need it. :)

Theraze

Not a problem. Windows 8 makes UAC worse than it was back in Vista, but they do it in a stealthy way that makes it look like it's going to work. And then it completely ignores your setting for things that Microsoft thinks are important to protect from us, the stupid users. I love Windows 8. So much. So very very much.

Anyways, you CAN fully disable UAC and make program work properly again. It just takes deciding that you want to fully disable all Metro apps forever and that you don't mind the Store telling you about how many updates you can't run because getting the update would involve running the Store, which is a Metro app.

And yes, I know it's not called Metro anymore. But... meh. Whatever. It's a failure just like the name was a failure. It fits. :)

Anyways, rant over for now. Happy it worked for you. :)

Catch-22

Thanks Theraze, yeah there's 2 kinds of user classes in Windows 8 (and other editions of Windows), Users and Administrators. If you want to keep UAC enabled and have access to the Program Files folder, you just need to edit the properties of the folder and under the security tab make sure that "COMPUTERNAME/Users" has access rights, by default Windows 8 doesn't give permission to Users to write in folders in Program Files.

dangerpin

Looks like we are getting empty Kolmafia 7zip files again for the last few updates. Thanks for all your work, Catch-22, sorry to add to the load.

Fluxxdog

I believe they wanted to have support for everything up-to-date, then Jick started adding and revamping. A lot.
Degrassi Knoll
Hidden City
KOLHS
Daily Dungeon
Mini-Adventurer
A bit more of Dreadssylvania
And that little thing where the Punk Rock giant choice changes after you complete the Trash Quest

I think those are the things that need some work. I know they were talking about spinning an official release soon about a month or two ago.

Theraze

I believe dangerpin is just pointing out that the daily .exe builder has broken again as opposed to asking anything about an official release schedule...

dangerpin

It worked well for a while, my thanks. Now we are having the issue with the 1k files for the KoLmafia.7z. I feel like the biggest pain in the rump.

dangerpin

It was a cool project. It was so awesome it celebrated a birthday a few months ago and kept right on plugging. Is it time to let this one go?

I will miss the way my box seems to use memory better when using the exe, but you are on to other projects and it seems like I am the only one who prods you when it stops updating for three days. So if we are trying to keep this thing on life support for me alone then I release you of that obligation.

Thanks for the fun and all your hard work.

Theraze

From the other post, it sounds like the issue is that ant is building 1.7-level instead of the 1.5-level that it's supposed to. This is probably not just a problem with the exe and his build environment, but something weird about the general build files. If it can be sorted out, the exe builds should go back to being reliable.