Feature Modifier Maximizer reports damage percent modifiers as damage

psly4mne

Raw damage and damage percent modifier are considered equivalent by the maximizer. For example, I maximize weapon damage, and the maximizer suggests "pool 1 (+50)". Likewise, if I maximize weapon damage, and the maximizer suggests "pool 2 (+50)".

Maximizing weapon damage percent or spell damage percent works correctly.

jasonharper

Developer
How would you suggest that it work? The relative worth of additive and percentage damage boosts depends on how much damage you'd otherwise do to the monster, which the Maximizer doesn't attempt to predict.

psly4mne

I realize there isn't an obviously correct solution. My preference would be to not show them at all. Then I could do something like "maximize spell damage, 0.75 spell damage percent" if my spells are doing about 75 base damage. Currently, I can get what I want by adding in a "-1 spell damage percent" term, so it isn't a big deal, but I think it would be more appropriate to not count the %damage modifiers as +damage.

Muhandes

This is especially correct for spell damage. As a sauceror you want to get over the maximum spell damage so you'd get the special effect. The percentage modifiers don't count for this.
I'm not sure what the correct solution is either. I think if I wanted more damage I'd be happy to know about the percentage items/equipment existence, but maybe not have them count their percentage as damage. Something like a tie breaker/+0. I hope I managed to explain the idea.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Personally, I think that the best fix would have "maximize spell damage, 0 spell damage percent" ignore spell damage percent, while "maximize spell damage" considers spell damage percent as a tiebreaker, doing what it does now.

Even better would be the option to use something like "maximize spell damage, (numeric_modifier('spell damage')+40)/100 spell damage percent". Right now, the closest I can get to that is "ash cli_execute("maximize spell damage"); cli_execute("maximize spell damage,"+(numeric_modifier("spell damage")+40)/100+" spell damage percent");", which is generally more than I would like to type. Also, it doesn't seem like it'd be quite perfect -- if you're changing equips, the max spell damage will change. The only way for this to be accurate would be to consider percent modifiers after absolute modifiers.