Feature - Rejected modifier maximizer -- outfit and equip should be usable at the same time

According to the documentation, there is a reason you can't do this, pirate's outfit vs. pirate's fledges.
I think most mafia user's are savvy enough to pick what they want.

But there are a ton of cases where this should work:

e.g.
outfit hodgman's, equip gift-a-pult, item drop
outfit Legendary Regalia of the Pastamancer, equip stinky cheese eye, meat drop
etc, etc...

Often I want to have a specific outfit, plus a certain item equipped and am always foiled.

Could you fix this so that outfit and equip work together?

Theraze

Hmm... tried it out and you can SORT of work around it.
> mymax outfit swash

Maximizing (1st time may take a while)...
90 combinations checked, best score 1000.7
Putting on eyepatch...
Equipment changed.
Putting on swashbuckling pants...
Equipment changed.
Putting on stuffed shoulder parrot...
Equipment changed.

> mymax outfit swash, equip drywall

Maximizing...
306 combinations checked, best score 1022.6
Putting on Crown of the Goblin King...
Equipment changed.
Wielding drywall axe...
Equipment changed.
Putting on 1337 7r0uZ0RZ...
Equipment changed.
Putting on eXtreme mittens...
Equipment changed.

> mymax equip drywall, outfit swash

Maximizing...
90 combinations checked, best score 1022.6

> mymax equip drywall, equip eyepatch, equip swashbuckling, equip stuffed shoulder

Maximizing...
377 combinations checked, best score 986.2
Putting on eyepatch...
Equipment changed.
Putting on swashbuckling pants...
Equipment changed.
Putting on stuffed shoulder parrot...
Equipment changed.

So if you run equip against each part of the outfit, it'll work for both... kludgey, but it works.

slyz

Developer
+equip isn't really the most efficient way to put specific items in specific slots. It would be better to explicitly equip those items, then maximize with the slots excluded:
equip special sauce glove; equip staff of the kitchen floor; maximize mus, -weapon, -offhand
I think this sums up what Jason would answer.

I tried doing
Code:
item drop, +1000 equip gift-a-pult, +outfit hodgman
but the Maximizer still suggested my scratch 'n' sniff sword with unicron stickers instead of the gift-a-pult.

Theraze

equip eliminates outfit. try this:
Code:
item drop, equip gift-a-pult, equip hodgman's porkpie, equip hodgman's lobsterskin, equip hodgman's bow tie

Or if you want to do it as 'proper' as possible, it would be
Code:
outfit hodgman
equip gift-a-pult
maximize item drop, -tie, -hat, -pants, equip hodgman's bow tie, -weapon

The reason for the specific equipping of the tie is that you don't necessarily know which accessory spot it'll be in, so we're guaranteeing that it stays equipped.

Edit: From looking at the MaximizerFrame and its helps internally, it appears that equip and outfit were written to be mutually satisfying due to the pirate cove. It's designed to make things easier for people, so that they can do "maximize outfit swash, equip fledges, -tie" and have their 'good' equipment stay as untouched as possible.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
In my case, 'outfit' eliminated the 'equip' - the Maximizer suggested the hodg outfit, but not the gift-a-pult.

Theraze

Could always do it as a two part process...
equip gift-a-pult
maximize outfit hodg, item drop, -weapon

Fluxxdog

From the wiki on Modifier Maximizer:
Mafia wiki said:
If both +equip and +outfit are used together, either one will satisfy the condition - all of the items, or one of the outfits. This special case is needed to be able to specify the conditions for adventuring in the Pirate Cove.
In other words, this is intended behavior. The only way to allow equip and outfit to be used together would be to hardcode a "pirateosity" into the maximizer. I think from what I gathered elsewhere, this is undesirable.

... I cannae do it, cap'n!

equip eliminates outfit. try this:
Code:
item drop, equip gift-a-pult, equip hodgman's porkpie, equip hodgman's lobsterskin, equip hodgman's bow tie

Or if you want to do it as 'proper' as possible, it would be
Code:
outfit hodgman
equip gift-a-pult
maximize item drop, -tie, -hat, -pants, equip hodgman's bow tie, -weapon

The reason for the specific equipping of the tie is that you don't necessarily know which accessory spot it'll be in, so we're guaranteeing that it stays equipped.

Edit: From looking at the MaximizerFrame and its helps internally, it appears that equip and outfit were written to be mutually satisfying due to the pirate cove. It's designed to make things easier for people, so that they can do "maximize outfit swash, equip fledges, -tie" and have their 'good' equipment stay as untouched as possible.

Right, but I'm saying this is not actually easier in many many more cases. It causes people to come up with countless workarounds for other situations. So I would propose that you remove that "feature".

Theraze

Done that way on purpose and explained in the code that it was done that way for a reason. That means I'm not touching it unless one of them official developer types say to change it.

Theraze

Making it optional involves rewriting the way the required element checker works, including having it potentially be able to check whether it's required or if you'd be happy either way. It's a lot of work to circumvent a 'feature' (which we may not necessarily want, but a feature regardless) that was added by them on purpose.

I'm done with this until they say otherwise. Someone else can make the unofficial and unlikely to be committed patch. :)