New Content - Implemented Minor obtuse angel features

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
First, romanticTarget needs to reset at rollover (spading here).

Second, semi-rare monsters that you shoot with romantic arrows reset the semi-rare counter in mafia right now. The page text from one of the fights:
You stop for a moment to catch your breath, and possibly a cold, and hear a wolf whistle from behind you. You spin around and see an unemployed knob goblin that looks suspiciously like the ones you shot with a love arrow earlier. He have little animated hearts circling around him, and he look at you with such devoted longing that it turns your stomach a little. He lunge at you, intent on hugging you to death.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, revision 9002 resets romanticTarget at rollover and 9005 will not reset the semirare counter if you "hear a wolf whistle" from a semirare monster. Of course, if the romantic semirare overrides a real semirare encounter, that will have been a mistake, but I don't see how to avoid that. Can this override a semirare?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Actually, the spading thread says exactly the opposite: stu says that they are "wandering monsters". On his Encounter Taxonomy thread, he says this: "These are the monsters that you get on regular intervals during special holidays/events, such as FoB, El Dia, the nemesis assassins, and during the sand event. Not tied to any zone. Will not show up if your semirare counter is expired, however it is still possible to override the semirare with anything else in the chain (such as a clover adventure)."

Theraze

from OP's linked spading report.
Seems to imply that you should revert the change to clear the target at rollover.
Where's that? What he said was:
Re: Obtuse Angel
by DanceCommander6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am
Arrow'd a scary pirate off a putty
45 turns shoring, dance card use, 3 more shore turns, ballroom. Superlikely
27 turns shoring, dance card use, 3 more shore turns, ballroom. Spooky pirate
Keeping the second one over rollover.
by NightBird » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:18 am
DanceCommander6 wrote:Arrow'd a scary pirate off a putty
Keeping the second one over rollover.
It won't work. Tested with fax & LFM yesterday and today ...
by DanceCommander6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am
Ok, thanks for the heads up.
Darn, this thing is looking more and more marginal by the minute I guess it may become the v-crit familiar and folks may start pulling Vivala masks again, or something.
by DanceCommander6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm
Thing is, the initial misinformation of 3 monsters per, instead of 2, and not knowing it doesn't reset at rollover, as well as not knowing it's one crit per stun (I somehow wasn't aware that it was only one crit per stun when I wrote my last message - easy multiple crits would make farming the adventures as well as getting pickpockets easier) made this look more broken than it is apparently.

What the full back and forth says is, there was MISinformation that it DIDN'T reset on rollover. Veracity's implementation is correct, and it is significantly less useful than they'd originally thought because of it.

so... "and not knowing it doesn't reset at rollover" is part of "the initial misinformation" but "as well as not knowing it's one crit per stun" is -not- part of the "initial misinformation"? The ambiguity in this sentence is communication breaking.
And double darn to the familiar's usefulness.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
so... "and not knowing it doesn't reset at rollover" is part of "the initial misinformation" but "as well as not knowing it's one crit per stun" is -not- part of the "initial misinformation"? The ambiguity in this sentence is communication breaking.
It looks like a typo for "not knowing it resets at rollover", since every single other thing he mentioned was something that made the familiar look MORE powerful, rather than less.

It looks fun/useful enough that my ascending multi will buy one, sometime later this month after he's done with the Slime Tube and his first Basement dive; he certainly doesn't need it before then.

Theraze

Each of the 3 items made it weaker...
1) Only 2 additional monsters, not 3.
2) Thought it didn't reset on rollover, but it does.
3) Thought all hits were guaranteed criticals while stunned, but it's only one.