Feature Mini-browse "unresponsive".

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
r12700 although I have seen it happen earlier.

Repeatable for three different characters for me although have not tried on different computers.

Open Mini-Browser. (See main map).
Click on Desert Beach. (See desert beach map).
Click on Bordertown.

Expect to see map of Bordertown. Actually see no change - desert beach still displayed.

Similar sequence works fine and as expected in Relay Browser.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It's probably due to how place.php works. Do other links at the desert beach work?

This might fit into Won't Fix since there's no case where it's important to do that in the mini browser.

Theraze

The only clickable bits are the additions, which are displayed a page or two below. The shore, south of the border, and bordertown are all unusable through the mini-browser.

And of course confirmation that this happens for me as well.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This might fit into Won't Fix since there's no case where it's important to do that in the mini browser.

Whether it is supposed to work is an open question. I wanted it to work so I could see the URL that KoLmafia was using so that I could use it to start fixing some scripts that parsed the contents of my shop and the Bordertown link is one way to get to the Mall. In the past it was also useful being able to look at the mini-browser to see whether "interesting" behavior was browser or script specific. In the distant past I have a vague recollection that it was a stated goal to be able to play the game entirely in the mini-browser although if others remember differently then I will defer to their memory.

If this is Won't Fix then I suggest we might want a discussion about eliminating the mini-browser completely.

roippi

Developer
Mini-browser is essentially unsupported (and has been such for a very long time), it's basically used only as a url inspection tool at this point.

I seriously doubt any developer cares enough to fix all the various unsupported content of the past ~5 years. The mini-browser seems fine as a niche debugging tool so I don't see cause for its removal.

Theraze

The minibrowser issue currently is more that it brings up a non-clickable version of the map which doesn't work and doesn't properly overlay the clickable additions after. Basically a layering issue as I see it.

It's not that it's unresponsive... it's that you're clicking on something that's not clickable.

The mini-browser should either be made to display the proper vanilla-like usable links, or should be entirely removed. As it currently stands, it's worse than useless because even the mafia developers are getting confused by it. Which gives some hints as to how it's perceived by non-forum-going users.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Considering that the OP is a KoLmafia Developer, perhaps making the Mini-Browser work to his satisfaction would be a dandy project for him to take on?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Usually when I use the Mini Browser, I don't care if links on the page work. The purpose is to enter a semi-arbitrary URL to test something, often to figure out if a URL can be skipped when jumping through hoops for some new interface. It's a lot simpler to do that and generally see the results (even if not everything is clickable, a "go away" message or a blank page can be distinguished at a glance from the correct result) than to mess around with visit_url(). There are probably other ways to get what I want, but it works well as a tool to get new content added to mafia. Leaving the code as-is seems fine to me, unless there's someone particularly motivated to improve it.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I need to ponder this. My sense of order and elegance compels me to either fix the Mini-Browser or rip it out. I have not scoped out the work to do the former and compared it my time and skills. I agree that, broken as it is, there is still some utility to the existing code, so if I did rip it out, I would want that utility available elsewhere. At the very least, I now see this is a FR and will mark it as such.

xKiv

I use the mini-browser in fernswarthy's basement to skip mood and manaburn when faced with festering powder at deeper levels (it's more convenient than switching off both mood and manaburn, and then having to remember to switch them back on - and also to remember *which* mood and manaburn setting).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The sidepane of the mini-browser is now, basically, broken. Used to be, every time we got a charpane.php from KoL, we'd save the responseText and refresh it from that. We still do that - but since we no longer ever call charpane.php internally, that means that such refreshes only occur when the charpane refreshes in the relay browser.

Perhaps if there is a mini browser open, whenever we want to call api.php?what=status, we should call charpane.php instead. It would seem wasteful to call BOTH api.php and charpane.php.

In any case, this needs some serious work to become useful again, in my opinion.