Maximizer issue?

Jt

I get increasingly long maximizer runs these days.

8476684 combinations checked, best score 465.72
8531519 combinations checked, best score 465.72
8583769 combinations checked, best score 465.72
8641804 combinations checked, best score 465.72
8646624 combinations checked, best score 465.72

Is this something in my inventory? Or a bug?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jt

Theraze

Nope, you're probably just doing something wrong, like including a bunch of +equip items rather than just equipping the items and -slotting it instead. Remember that +equip means to add an extra item to the maximization consideration regardless of how good it is, rather than eliminating the slot entirely. So it makes things take LONGER, not shorter. If you equip the item and remove the slot instead, then it speeds things up because it leaves that slot alone.

While this seems possibly counterintuitive, it's because of weapons, accessories, and other such items that might possibly end up in multiple slots if you don't force it. So if you want an item, equip it and remove the slot. Your maximization speed will thank you.

Jt

Ok, so I should have said this in my first post but I'm just running "maximize item". Nothing special at all :( Other things like maximize pvp fights run fine.

Thanks,
Jt

ereinion

My experience is that it depends a lot on how many items you have got that can increase e.g. item-drop. I suspect that the new feature of also enthroning/bjornifying familiar has added to the amount of possible combinations that the maximizer considers - which of course is a good thing if you want to get as good a result as possible, but which also causes it to take a longer time to find the best possible solution.

I would however say that it is odd to say that you are doing it "wrong" when you use (or don't use) features which are a part of the maximizer, even if it won't take as long to run if you add that manual step of equipping some stuff before running it, and use -slots instead of +equip.

Something else that is likely to shorten the time it takes to use the maximizer is to put on an outfit you think is close to optimal for what you want to maximize before running the maximizer.

Darzil

Developer
The real killer is the number of outfits and synergies that help with +items, I made sure thone/bjorn code didn't add too many combos, it preconsiders familiars. Smithsness really doesn't help, as it makes loads of items be considered, especially if you have lots of smithsness items.

You can stop things getting too big with maximizerCombinationLimit, I set it to a million personally.

Jt

It almost seems like it changes day to day on how high it goes, I wouldn't doubt the smithsness items. The config setting is perfect as it normally reaches the max value within 3-4 outputs ~200k-300k.

Thanks for all the help
Jt

Theraze

I would however say that it is odd to say that you are doing it "wrong" when you use (or don't use) features which are a part of the maximizer, even if it won't take as long to run if you add that manual step of equipping some stuff before running it, and use -slots instead of +equip.

+equip is best used as a compliment for +outfit, such as with the pirates where either the fledges or the outfit can be equipped, but you don't need both. It is misused when you are in aftercore and trying to force-equip a specific item regardless of whether it's the 'best' for what you're maximizing. That is why I said that using +equip for forcing a slot is doing it wrong. Because... it is. :)

But yeah, under a million results is fairly standard. When you pass that, it's usually because of something else... a currently aftercore account with full cloathing and blasphemous available (and the good stuff already worn) and then maximizing for:
0 beeosity, 4 item, 3 meat, 2 mainstat, .05 familiar weight, ranged damage, weapon damage, .1 initiative, -melee, 100 items, 0 melee

> mymax 100 items, 0 melee

Maximizing...
16982 combinations checked, best score 27,021.40

*shrugs* It's about getting the slots you want first, then running onwards. :)

ereinion

I would argue that since there currently isn't any other way to force that piece of equipment to be equipped (without doing stuff outside the maximizer), and the description of the command in the help-text does seem to indicate that is its function it is correct usage. But as you say, it will increase the time the optimizer uses by quite a bit.

I'd also say that about 1 million results is quite a bit less than what I get from e.g. "maximize item" in aftercore, usually I'll have to find something else to do for 10-20 minutes :) This may not be the case for the typical user though :)

Crowther

In aftercore, "outfit birthday suit; maximize items" never takes more than a couple of seconds. "maximize items" with a bunch of not-item-drop stuff already equipped can take tens of minutes for me. This is because what you are wearing is always considered, even if it is useless and I have pretty much all the outfits.

There's lots more information here.

ereinion

I did not know that. Guess it's time to add a new alias :p Thanks for the tip :)

- edit - Huh, I don't know how I missed your post in that other thread :)

Last edited: