Bug - Not A Bug Mafia induced lag?

jwylot

I've been seeing lag today when using mafia for auto-adventuring and in the relay browser. I tried 10 adventures with no CCS - combat action just set to "attack" and timed these using r10058 although I was seeing similar results with earlier versions, back to r10048.

Adventuring without mafia............44 sec

In relay browser..........................2:43

Auto-adventuring........................5:29

I noted that there was a significant delay following "validating adventure sequence" and between encounters. This has only started today. I know a sample of one is pretty small but wonder how many of the folk complaining in the forum today http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189782 were also running mafia.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
There are reports in that post from people not using mafia. Also, running turns slowly doesn't cause you to get logged out of KoL.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
FWIW, it feels like mafia is slower than I expect but that feeling predates December 1. I'm sensing a longer pause while adventuring and I attribute it to something like waiting for the request queue to empty before updating everything. That said, I have not been bothered to actually pinpoint a cause so don't flame me if that is total nonsense.

The characters using SmartStasis are definitely lagging but that could be because the lolli monsters are unspaded, at least as far as when I built mafia.

Lag might also be the result of more players. I'm noticing a couple hundred more players online at the items when I usually adventure so the root cause may just be Crimbo farmers.

jwylot

Gemelli mentioned server issues in the KOL forum. Is it possible that stuff mafia does behind the scenes is causing the lag? The delays are happening after "validating adventure sequence" when starting auto-adventuring and between each combat. Adventuring without mafia is still pretty fast.

slyz

Developer
Stuff Mafia does "behind the scene" probably happens only on the client's side. A good way of checking would be to spend a couple of adventures with debug logging, and checking what server hits Mafia generates.

Where did Gemelli mention server issues? Weren't does related to hardware problems they are having?

jwylot

After looking at the debug log, I removed Universal Recovery and mafia seems to be running almost normally. Guess I should go bug Bale now :)

Could someone please mark this as not a bug, thanks.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
I did notice that adventuring without Mafia was a lot faster than I expected, maybe there is something in this, but it's rather hard to single out anything specific that might be causing this.

MHoP

I have had a very serious slowdown in mafia today as well. After 6 hour of trying to run a character (letting it run and checking in every now and then) I set a Kol combat script and put it as an auto attack and things ran at normal speed. I think it is a problem with the way that mafia is running scripts. (I am running smartstasis, batbrain, and zlib). Their is a definite problem. I am guessing in the ability to execute ash.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
There is also a significant difference between running combats one or two rounds at a time (with SmartStasis) and with KoL Macros (be it via an autoattack macro or via a CCS with no consult script), that has nothing to do with interpreting ASH.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Bale has not noticed slowness.
Alas, Fronobulax has.

270+ turns this afternoon with character running SS and UR. CCS set to spell which does enough damage to do a one hit kill. No stasis actually being done. 90 minutes wall clock time.

Log out, log in with different character. No UR, No SS. One hit kills. 270+ turns in less than 30 minutes. If I were motivated enough to look for a source of lag and prove I had found it I would start looking at how UR and SS interact with mafia and the recently revised Request threading and related changes.