Bug - Fixed Mafia Does Not Open?

Xenocomplex

Ever since the whole buncha new builds my Mafia doesn't seem to start, I just execute the jar or exe and nothing happens.

It was working fine yesterday with an earlier build, but ever since my auto updater downloaded the latest build it doesn't open.

Any ideas?

illarion

This could be related to a possible bug I was about to post.

I've found that for at least the last few days (and possibly longer, as I was a little lax about updating - maybe as much as a few weeks), Mafia doesn't seem to be closing properly. By that I mean a javaw.exe process is left running when I close Mafia down, which did not happen in the past. (I do not have another Java app running, as far as I am aware).

While this orphaned javaw process is running, Mafia silently fails to start. If I kill it, Mafia starts normally.

I have specifically noticed this issue with r9984, and I believe I have seen it with r10005.

I'm hesitant to state with certainty that it is a Mafia problem, as it could certainly be something specific to my system, and I have done very little in the way of investigation (particularly as there is an easy workaround). But I figured it was worth asking if there has been a Mafia change that could conceivably cause such behaviour.

And my issue would seem to match the symptoms described in the OP, though far from conclusively.

theletterkay

I am having this same problem and went in a checked my processes. I did indeed have more than one java process open but no mafia open. And I am 100% sure that I only have 1 other java program and it has not been used in a week.

I canceled the java processes but mafia still will not open for me.

I'm using 10005.

roippi

Developer
More details, please. Does vanilla 14.8 work? How about intermediate daily builds? What version of java are you running?

Same problem with builds 10006, 10009 and maybe 9996 under Mint 9/Ubuntu lucid too.

After closing KoLmafia I still see this in the list of processes:
http://195.70.211.9/files/kolmafia_exit_lucid_c.png
And there in no DEBUG_*.txt file too.
If I try to start second instance of KoLMafia, it will start fine, but before starting 3rd etc I must check my process list every time and kill existing instances of mafia

P.S. java version "1.6.0_20"

//Konstantin a.k.a. NightBird

By left-clicking on X in main window; then on X in login window. I usually don't wait when mafia performs logout request.

cli -> exit and
General->Exit Kolmafia works fine, but requires more symbols to type / more actions to do with mouse :)

Winterbay

Not waiting until Mafia logged out properly seems to have been what made my chat go all wonky as well, so maybe there is something in how Mafia exits in an "unclean" circumstance?

just throwing a "me too" into the mix here. lately i've been using the "Exit KolMafia" instead of log off when i know i'll be closing my session entirely. probably unrelated, but maybe not i'm also noticing my mafia starts up in a really really big window instead of how it was when i closed it down. this may or may not have coincided with my adding the kolmafia chat TAB to my startup.

senaldun

I was going to say something and saw this thread. I have been noticing it a lot more since rev10004, but I think it happened a few times using earlier builds. I am using Java 1.6.0_29. The process just hangs around and doesn't let me open mafia again until I've killed the process.

zarqon

Chiming in. I used to always click the X but these days I have to type "exit" in the CLI if I want to make sure mafia actually exits all the way. Otherwise javaw.exe is still running. It is possible to type exit and then click the X on the logout window, once the main window has been closed -- this is what I do when I want to close mafia quickly rather than waiting for my logout script to complete.

I also used to play all my characters in a row by typing "login <character>" in the CLI when I was ready to play the next character. This hasn't worked since the FoxTrot removal; I have to exit mafia, close any orphaned javaw.exe processes, then start it up again for the next character, which may need to login twice to make it all the way to the main window.

Also, just in case by "mafia doesn't open" anyone meant that it shows the login screen but not the main window, here's a workaround. Sometimes mafia will go through its routine with the login window, then the final message will be "Session data refreshed", then the login window disappears and it appears to do nothing more -- however the javaw.exe process is still running. Force-close that process, and try to login the same character again. It always works for me on the second try.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
r10016
I'm throwing this here although it might not be quite the same. I started mafia, entered a bad password and got a message about it, entered the right password and mafia exited. Debug log attached. javaw process not present. Error seems to have occurred while getting breakfast. Symptoms seem very much like the above - never see the main window - but that is because the process exits.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20111121a.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 47

Bullson

I too am having the problem with Mafia not closing the Java process correctly. It sometimes manifests in not ending completely when running multiple commands from the CLI. Current daily build 10021 but I've noticed it in builds since just before 10000.

Win Vista SP2.
Java build 1.6.0_26-b03

I NEVER have this problem if I roll back to build 9938 (just the last build I had saved).

Winterbay

For what it's worth: I've not seen this problem at all. I generally close Mafia by typing "logout" in the CLI and when my logout script has finished running press the X on the main login window.
Java 6.29, windows XP professional.

Bullson

I have seen it both on closing by typing Exit in the CLI and when clicking the red X, although I usually click the red X to quit.