Bug - Not A Bug Mafia confused about familiars

Rhada

I'm running a daily build (r16830). In the middle of a Cowpuncher run and Mafia's idea of my familiars became corrupt -- at first they all disappeared from the GUI, but when I picked one from the relay browser and adventured with it, it became kinda available again (mafia can't seem to switch familiar equipment).

I tried running "refresh familiar" (or "all") but that has no effect, nor does logging out and in or relaunching mafia.

I think but cannot tell for sure that it's only familiars and their equipment that mafia became blind to, not other equipment.

Linux and java 1.7.0_99.

What's safe to do as a workaround? I can delete my entire profile but will mafia then recover cross-ascension data such as demon names? What state do I need to manually move over to a fresh install?

Bale

Minion
All of mafia's persistent information (such as demon names) reside in the setting directory, but that should be completely irrelevant for this instance. (I am glad that dropbox keeps backups of those files for me in case tragedy strikes.)

Whenever you log on mafia reads your terrarium to see what is there. Even if that got corrupted in a session, simply restarting mafia should restore it.

How are you trying to switch familiar equipment? Are you doing that from the gear changer?

Rhada

Bale, I had restarted mafia a few times and it didn't help. Also the "refresh" cli command. But I just tried updating to the latest revision and now things seem fine, so, success?

For posterity, in case this happens to someone else and proves useful in debugging, yes, the gear changer would not see equipment on another familiar (even if it were a familiar it saw). And whenever I used the modifier maximizer UI (not sure about cli) it would deequip the current familiar (and show the "no familiar" icon). The relay browser worked for familiar switching / equipping, of course.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It was a KoL change. There is nothing that you could do except to upgrade to a version of KoLmafia that supported that KoL change.

We should probably spin a new release soon.

Louis of Apshai

Maybe this helps for the debugging process, otherwise please ignore my post:

The familiar list is not imported correctly. have_familiar() returns true for the actual familiar only. use_familiar() does not work with any other one.

Theraze

As per what Rhada said, this is not a bug, simply a KoL change to image hosting which is fixed by using a current build of mafia rather than an old, non-functional one.

Louis, if you are having problems and using a current build of mafia, please post which build you are using rather than simply adding on information to a "sorry, this is not really a bug in current mafia" thread. There is no more debugging needed. The issue is resolved.

atomicpopcorn

I have this problem as well. I had the Mac version 17.1 and updated to 17.2 but it's still broken. Not sure if I'm able to do anything else or need to wait for a later release.
I haven't seen a location for a daily build for the mac version of mafia.
I have found that once I log in I can open a relay browser and manually swap familiars. Once I've done that mafia remembers the ones I've taken out of the terrarium but only for that session.
I've been swapping in and out one each of my preferred familiars so the bumcheekascend script can see them for ML, stats, spleen, items and meat.
EDIT: I found a post on how to run a .jar file on the mac so I've been able to run that.

Last edited:

Louis of Apshai

please post which build you are using

The newest one as far as I can see at sourceforge: v17.2, released 28th of Nov. 2015.

I've just made a fresh new installation of KoLmafia, and the problem persists.

(@Theraze: I've written this here because from my point of view this bug is not resolved yet.)

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
And this is why I think we should stop hosting builds at sourceforge.

This repeated exchange with people who are absolutely sure that they have the latest build (and they believe it for good reason) is why I agree. He and others are only wrong because we mislead them.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
And this is why I think we should stop hosting builds at sourceforge.

What is the downside to abandoning the concept of 'release' and just updating SourceForge daily or an some frequency that makes sense if done by an automated process rather than a developer? Does SourceForge support Jenkins or an equivalent?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Can Jenkins or something similar make .dmg files? Currently, only Veracity can make those (out of the active developers). If those get dropped (especially since they also seem to run into issues with Gatekeeper blocking them until some setting is changed by each individual user), then that would probably open things up. Files are added to SourceForge either through the web interface or through SFTP; I have no idea how capable Jenkins is at that.

The process gets slowed down by the fact that mallprices.txt is only updated just before a new point release, as well as running checkitems, checkpowers, and probably other stuff that I've forgotten. Those things could happen once a month (or whatever) unrelated to any point release.