Bug - Fixed Mafia autoselects choices in choice adv (build 20736)

Bombastus

Sometimes but not always, when adventuring manually in the relay browser, build 20736 will automatically go through a choice adventure without giving the opportunity to make a selection and without showing the result in the relay browser, instead only the plain text page "Oops! You're not in a choice adventure right now." or something to that effect. I can confirm it happening
  • in the non-com adventure "Home on the free range" while backfarming the boning knife as well as
  • in the daily dungeon at the elemental resistance test
(where it took me through the second test without choosing despite the fact that I was able to opt out of the first test on the same day using the 11-foot pole.) I have no entry in the debug log that corresponds to that timestamp.

VladYvhuce

R20742 does this, too. It seems to just go ahead and do whatever you've set in the choice adventures for whatever zone you're in, even if you're manually adventuring. You'll need to set up zones to either do something specific (if you typically only choose one of the options), or leave everything set to "show in browser" option.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I do not think this is a Mafia feature / problem. This is more likely some Automation script that is handling the choices.
If you open Preferences -> Automation, what are the entries for Pre-Adventure, Post-Adventure, Choice-Adventure, etc.

VladYvhuce

I just have Counter Checker active in automation.

Attachments

• d5fff9ba5932a8d847ee75fcad6417d5.png
    d5fff9ba5932a8d847ee75fcad6417d5.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 3

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My recollection is that the desired behavior is that the relay browser "stop" and display the choice adventure, possibly with spoilers or a recommended ("->") choice indicated.

If KoLmafia is inconsistent then it would be nice to understand and fix, but it is also true that there are scripts that will intercept a choice adventure and act on it regardless of how a user is adventuring. Mafia itself also handles some choice adventures regardless of whether the relay browser is used or not.

Should this have some bearing on the Choice Manager refactoring being pondered at https://kolmafia.us/threads/choicemanager-refactor.26085/ ?

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
If this is in Quantum Terrarium, I think it's the "check the terrarium request" that sometimes fires while you're still in combat / a choice. I didn't report it because I thought it'd be fixed by r20739.

VladYvhuce

My recollection is that the desired behavior is that the relay browser "stop" and display the choice adventure, possibly with spoilers or a recommended ("->") choice indicated.

If KoLmafia is inconsistent then it would be nice to understand and fix, but it is also true that there are scripts that will intercept a choice adventure and act on it regardless of how a user is adventuring. Mafia itself also handles some choice adventures regardless of whether the relay browser is used or not.

Should this have some bearing on the Choice Manager refactoring being pondered at https://kolmafia.us/threads/choicemanager-refactor.26085/ ?
That used to be how the relay browser setup would work. Now, it just goes to "oops, you're not in a choice adventure" while mafia auto-chooses. This seems to have started with the rollout of Quantum Terrarium, which was going on before I had lost my preferences. I had posted in the KOL Forums topic on that path, and someone said it's usually caused by trying to click buttons too fast. But, I've been encountering it when adventuring slowly.

Bombastus

I do not think this is a Mafia feature / problem. This is more likely some Automation script that is handling the choices.
If you open Preferences -> Automation, what are the entries for Pre-Adventure, Post-Adventure, Choice-Adventure, etc.
I confirm I had no other scripts running and was adventuring manually in relay browser. Mafia jumped the choice and did not display the result.

Edit: And I have no entries in any scripting fields in the "automation" tab. It was definitely unusual behavior - one daily dungeon, two times elemental test (within 5 turns), two times different behavior is unexpected.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I confirm I had no other scripts running and was adventuring manually in relay browser. Mafia jumped the choice and did not display the result.

Edit: And I have no entries in any scripting fields in the "automation" tab. It was definitely unusual behavior - one daily dungeon, two times elemental test (within 5 turns), two times different behavior is unexpected.
Last thought is that some relay script is running. If you have any scripts in the 'relay' folder that get triggered, they can force choices or other actions.

Also - you might try selectively unchecking the options under 'Relay Browser' in Preferences to stop things happening when adventuring in using Relay.

VladYvhuce

Last thought is that some relay script is running. If you have any scripts in the 'relay' folder that get triggered, they can force choices or other actions.

Also - you might try selectively unchecking the options under 'Relay Browser' in Preferences to stop things happening when adventuring in using Relay.
Ok. So, for me, when I made sure the "do X before manual adventures" Relay Browser options in Preferences were all unchecked, it returned the normal functionality back to where Mafia is no longer forcing the choices during manual adventuring. Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't've thought to try that. Also, I have uninstalled counter checker, so nothing in the automation scripts list.
Edit: Never mind. Now, it's gone back to doing it. (further info edit): Got a temporary fix set up. Your suggestion worked for regular choice adventures. But, for things like the ghost dog, or others listed in the Items section of "Choice Advs" in the Adventure tab, those were still being automated, so I set them all back to just "show in browser" mode.

Last edited:

Bombastus

Ok. So, for me, when I made sure the "do X before manual adventures" Relay Browser options in Preferences were all unchecked, it returned the normal functionality back to where Mafia is no longer forcing the choices during manual adventuring.

I don't have any of those options activated. I am now running r20745. Today it autoskipped three rooms in the daily dungeon (2 11-foot pole, 1 boring door), did not skip a further elemental test in DD and also skipped the last choice adventure at Twin Peak (chase your shadow). As far as I can tell, there isn't a choice adventure option for Twin Peak from which mafia could be basing choices on (my tab is empty, although I can't really see why that would be the case.) Hope this helps.

Edit: Well, an hour later, it went into auto-attack in the PFA against a MagiMechTech as a mox class and got me beaten up. That's less funny than skipping choice advs. I'm going to try reverting to an earlier version, pre-QT, I guess.

Edit2: Looking back into the log, it actually was a choice adv "random lack of an encounter", and it chose the combat and used the combat script

Last edited:

VladYvhuce

I don't have any of those options activated. I am now running r20745. Today it autoskipped three rooms in the daily dungeon (2 11-foot pole, 1 boring door), did not skip a further elemental test in DD and also skipped the last choice adventure at Twin Peak (chase your shadow). As far as I can tell, there isn't a choice adventure option for Twin Peak from which mafia could be basing choices on (my tab is empty, although I can't really see why that would be the case.) Hope this helps.

Edit: Well, an hour later, it went into auto-attack in the PFA against a MagiMechTech as a mox class and got me beaten up. That's less funny than skipping choice advs. I'm going to try reverting to an earlier version, pre-QT, I guess.

Edit2: Looking back into the log, it actually was a choice adv "random lack of an encounter", and it chose the combat and used the combat script
But, do you have Coice Advs options set? I'm including a screenshot where to locate them. You may need to set them all to "show in browser", or if any have a goal you always use, deal with it being a "whoops! you're not in a choice adventure" notice.
9a898c80cc64c8443230f21bf4c475b7.png

https://gyazo.com/9a898c80cc64c8443230f21bf4c475b7

fredg1

I think I found what is happening.
In r20721, when Gausie added quantum terrarium support, he added
Java:
QuantumTerrariumRequest.checkCounter( this );
at the start of response validations. Meaning that a new qterrarium.php request will be sent (if the qterrerium counter is expired) no matter what, the moment you click on anything, interrupting whatever you were doing, every time.
If this is in Quantum Terrarium, I think it's the "check the terrarium request" that sometimes fires while you're still in combat / a choice. I didn't report it because I thought it'd be fixed by r20739.
This patch did absolutely nothing. Mafia doesn't know if you're in a choice or a fight yet.

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
This patch did absolutely nothing. Mafia doesn't know if you're in a choice or a fight yet.
I really resent this tone fred

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
I think this is sorted in r20763 but in general this is tough to sequence.