Bug - Cannot Reproduce Lost Demon Names

Cait

I'm honestly not sure what happened here, but when I updated from r9429 to r9453, all of my Demon names disappeared. Thankfully, I had them backed up, but I'm not sure why Mafia would've erased them.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The demon names are in the preferences file and mafia "losing" them is almost certainly related to something going on with the file. Were both versions of mafia using the same home directory? Do you have multiple characters? Were you running multiple instances of mafia? Were you logging out and then logging back in without exiting and shutting down mafia? Do you always run mafia as the same user, from the perspective of your operating system? Are any other preferences missing or set to the default?

There were some issues with preferences files getting trashed but that was a long time ago and to the extent that it was a bug, i was thinking it had been squashed.

Cait

Same directory, I'd never had this sort of problem with updating the version before. I manually edited the demon names back into the preferences file while Kolmafia was closed, relaunched r9453... and the names were blanked out again. Closed it once more, re-edited the pref file, and opened the prior version (r9429) and the Demon Names were still there. It's hard to tell if any other preferences were lost, though it did also forget that I'd done Breakfast today.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Well that's approaching repeatable. Are there any system problems that could be contributing - no write access to the preferences file or a full disk?

Is your editor saving the preferences file as plain text?

I don't see anything in the commit logs that suggests a difference. If you are bored enough you could run 9429 to confirm the names are there and then see whether they disappear when you run r9430 and so on until you have them in rXXXX but not r(XXXX+1).