Bug - Cannot Reproduce Lose ability to copy text from graphical cli

Rinn

Developer
I honestly don't have a good repro for this, if anyone can help find one it would be helpful.

I notice on occasion I am completely unable to copy text from the cli, ctrl-c doesn't do anything and it seems to be resolved by restarting mafia.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Is there some reason I shouldn't just mark this "Cannot reproduce"? As is, it is completely and utterly unhelpful.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
More specifics please, including OS, how you are trying to copy and why you think the copy failed (since you didn't say anything about pasting the text anywhere ;-) )

[2091] Battlefield (Hippy Uniform)
Encounter: Naughty Sorority Nurse
Strategy: C:\KolMafia\ccs\CafeBoob.ccs [default]
Round 0: cafeboob loses initiative!
Division by zero (BatBrain.ash, line 576)
Round 1: cafeboob attacks!
Round 2: naughty sorority nurse takes 30 damage.

Above demonstrates that it works for me ...

Rinn

Developer
Is there some reason I shouldn't just mark this "Cannot reproduce"? As is, it is completely and utterly unhelpful.
You know just because I want to point out the issue I'm having and don't have a solid repro, at least I said hey I can't repro it could someone else chime in if they have the same problem. I know it's unhelpful without a repro, I'm going to try and figure out what's going on you don't need to get so snippy every time you're mildly inconvenienced.

Anyway I got somewhere, it has something to do with how the clipboard is being set when there is html in the copied text, and it seems I can only not paste into firefox text windows.

For example when I copy the following text I can't paste it into firefox, probably because it is in html or rtf format without adding a plaintext version to the clipboard? There's a lot of weird stuff with putting different text formats on the clipboard.
Code:
void print_html( string )

> ash print_html("<a href=www.google.com>google</a>")

google
Returned: void

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You don't need to get so snippy every time you're mildly inconvenienced.
I should probably just stop looking at and attending to bug reports that I don't enter myself; considering how crunched for time I am, given what I need to do for my company, having to spend a minute reading an unreproducible bug report is a hell of a lot more than a "mild inconvenience."

Or perhaps the problem is that I just don't have the patience, at the moment, to just ignore people that I feel are wasting my precious time; my fuse is short. I recently responded to somebody over of G-D by telling them that that they didn't know what they were talking about and Bete Noir gave me a "forum infraction" because I had been "snide", since I didn't include "helpful examples" to demonstrate why they were wrong. That blew me away. I couldn't believe my eyes. I logged out of G-D, turned my back, and walked away. I haven't been back - and that has saved me no end of personal time and aggravation.

So now both you and bordemstirs have publicly criticized me because both of you thought I'd inappropriately attacked you. Perhaps you are right, or perhaps you are wrong, but you know, I've think you've convinced me. If my time is so precious and my fuse is so short, I don't NEED to spend my precious time reading things that waste my time - or, especially, RESPONDING to such things.

Yeah. I think that when I'm done doing whatever further Lunar support I have in mind, I'm going to stop coming here until and unless my work situation lightens up. I'm sure that others will step up to fix things in my absence.

Thanks for the "push"!

For example when I copy the following text I can't paste it into firefox, probably because it is in html or rtf format without adding a plaintext version to the clipboard? There's a lot of weird stuff with putting different text formats on the clipboard.
Code:
void print_html( string )

> ash print_html("<a href=www.google.com>google</a>")

google
Returned: void
I am sure that this is the issue: the recipient has to be willing to accept the copied item in the format it comes in. I vaguely remember a similar report many years ago. I seem to recall that I noticed an issue with copying from the gCLI and hola did ... something. I see nothing in the complete SVN revision list. I suspect it is buried in the shadows of our lost CVS history.

Rinn

Developer
The only one giving you grief about any of this is yourself, just because I said you were snippy or someone calls a feature or bug in mafia annoying doesn't mean it's a personal attack. Not responding in the first place would have been the same as saying it's entirely unhelpful. I've always of the mindset that even if you don't have a solid repro it's good to get bugs into the system so they're known about, but clearly I'm unintentionally just causing grief so I'm not going to do that here anymore.

roippi

Developer
I've always taken V's occasional terseness as part of her charm. But YMMV. And V, if there are some personal things that are boiling over here that you need to work out, by all means take some a break from developing. That said, I and many others would be very sorry to lose your talents here.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I notice on occasion I am completely unable to copy text from the cli, ctrl-c doesn't do anything and it seems to be resolved by restarting mafia.

The problem with this report is that there are so many ways to copy text that it does not help focus thinking about the issue. For example, I suspect something like:

On Windows 7, using Java 1.6 and rXXXX I select text in the gCLI with my mouse and then copy it with ctrl-c. When I try and paste it using the right mouse button into a text box on a page displayed with Firefox 3.6.11 nothing happens.

might have elicited a different response. The difference is that my suggestion gives the impression that I am trying to anticipate the type of questions someone who is trying to help might ask. That anticipation signals that I do place some value on the helper's time.

On the general issue of unreproducible weirdness and trying to find out whether other folks are seeing it, I find that posting in Community Support tends to remove the angst generated by suggesting something might be a Bug Report. If other people report seeing it then a Bug Report with more information can then be posted.

AlbinoRhino

On Windows 7, using Java 1.6.0_20-b02 and r9450 (maybe 51) I select text in the gCLI with my mouse and then copy it with ctrl-c. When I try and paste it using the right mouse button into a text box on a page displayed with Firefox 4.0.1 nothing happens.

With some slight editing (in bold) this is just what happened to me yesterday. I was able to copy into notepad++, and then copy from there into FF. Not sure if that helps any, but seems to be more related to copying into FF rather than from the gCLI. At least for me.

Theraze

I've had issues pasting into the forum using 64-bit IE 9 in Win7 64-bit from mafia at times. But I usually blame IE, not mafia, since IE tends to be weird about things. It's when I can't actually highlight the text in the gCLI that I consider blaming mafia. And decide against it, as it's probably my Java implementation.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
With some slight editing (in bold) this is just what happened to me yesterday. I was able to copy into notepad++, and then copy from there into FF. Not sure if that helps any, but seems to be more related to copying into FF rather than from the gCLI. At least for me.

Interesting. On the basis of Rinn's post my sense is that this is a Java bug and so will not be fixed in KoLmafia until it is both fixed in Java, and KoLmafia changes its target environment to be the version(s) of Java with the fix.