Just a Newbie

Tipmon

ok i have been here for about a month (maybe longer because i was here for about a week or two before i signed up and have read every post about 3 pages back in every area with scripts) and i have just started to play with scripts alot. I think it is really interesting and want to learn how to design video games so this seems like a good place to get familar with it. I am just asking for a website or something that can help boost me to newbie levels of doing things like some of the minor scripts do. Also i can quit asking for scripts and just make them myself :p

Last edited:
The lurking you have been doing is an excellent start.

The wiki is at wiki.kolmafia.us. It's not absolutely complete, but it's pretty good. (If you learn something that isn't there, add it... then it gets better.)

Typing "ashref", without the quotes, in the CLI will give you a list of ash commands... but not what they do. Searching on these forums can sometimes help with that.

If you know any other programming languages, looking at some of the scripts here that others have written can be very helpful. If you don't know other languages, it can still be helpful but may seem like a lot of text at first.

Tipmon

thanks for the fast response and i dont think of it as lurking.......just looking at threads without people knowing :p

Grotfang

Developer
thanks for the fast response and i dont think of it as lurking.......just looking at threads without people knowing :p

Tomato, tomato :rolleyes:

Another suggestion I would make is if you get stuck with stuff, just ask. The guys here are pretty friendly and normally help out with things you're having difficulty understanding. Don't feel you have to give up if the wiki and your own reading isn't giving you the information (although it is courteous to look there before asking here...) - just give a shout and someone is bound to know.

Bale

Minion
As Grotfang says, if you show that you've at least tried to do something, even if you completely failed, it's likely that a few of us will jump all over you with helpful tips about how you can improve, just because we like to help each other out.

Sometimes even without run-on sentences. ;)