JAR File will not double click -

Sparklebeast

Hello!

Last year I had a lot of difficulty launching mafia with a double click .jar file - I resolved the issue but unfortunately I had to get my computer restored to factory and I do not completely recall what people suggested to me to make it work. I have gone through the thread I made last July here, as well as some some of the internet's suggestions on opening jar files, but I cannot make it work. If I manually type in java -jar (KOLMAFIA-00000.jar), it works and the script opens, so I don't think it's a path issue.

I have installed java v 17 here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.11.9-hotspot

I have mafia installed here: C:\Users\mages\Documents\Mafia

Relevant registry values:
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jar is set to jar_auto_file

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jar_auto_file\shell\open\command is set to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.11+9\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Let me know if there's any other relevant info that would make diagnosis easier - thanks a bunch!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Windows 10 or 11, not that I will change my suggestions because of the answer.

I'm using Oracle's Java so our paths won't agree but I do wonder about your installation ending with "jdk-17.0.11.9-hotspot" but your open command having "jdk-17.0.11+9" and not "jdk-17.0.11.9-hotspot".

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jar is not set on my machine, FWIW. Similarly I don't have jar_auto_file so the differences may be due to Oracle. That said there is an open command on my system that looks a lot like yours.

Grasping at straws I would right click on the jar file, select Open With and make sure to select an instance of javaw.exe. I would try a right click on the jar and Open. I would open a command prompt and try and launch Kolmafia with "start KOLMAFIA-00000.jar" These are some ways to launch and failures might point to some Windows setting.

In the realm of the truly obscure is it possible some mouse related settings need to be adjusted? I have a family member that double clicks so fast that the system only sees one click. That was somewhat resolved by experimenting with the mouse settings.