Jagged images and text?

Sanmei

After I updated to the new version of Java, all the images and text have started looking pixel-ly. For comparison, I took a screenshot of the Eye and a Twist in Mafia versus the image from how it appears in the wiki and adjusted the size to be roughly the same so you can see what i mean - the Mafia image is the one on the left.

Anyone know what's going on and if it can be fixed?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 9

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I had something like that when I changed from a HDPI display to a less robust display.

You might identify what the current look and feel (Preferences?) and try some of the options. The L&F additions are comparatively recent and there is a possibility that the Java changes require some changes or updates there as well.

Sanmei

No luck, and I haven't changed any of my hardware or settings prior or since the Java update. I tried deleting my cached images and had a partial success -- now the images in the left and top pane are smooth, but the ones in the center are still pixelated. BTW, the text I thought was pixelated was actually part of the images in question (sample in the linked file). I also tried loading the page in different browsers and that didn't change anything either.

Maybe this is a CSS issue? I don't know what could have changed between versions of Java, but I vaguely remember having this issue several years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember what I did (if anything) to fix it way back when.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 4

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Is this in the Mafia window or the relay browser?
I have seen similar issues in the browser when my display scale is set to something other than 100% (in Windows).

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Is this in the Mafia window or the relay browser?
I have seen similar issues in the browser when my display scale is set to something other than 100% (in Windows).
I'm guessing it's in the relay browser, since none of those images are in the Mafia source code or UI.

Two questions:
1: What do the Trophy Case and the EyeMartini look like in the mini Browser?
2: What is your Operating System, Look and Feel, and Java version?
3: If you right click on those images in your browser and "open in a new window", are they OK or broken?

Sanmei

I'm guessing it's in the relay browser, since none of those images are in the Mafia source code or UI.

Two questions:
1: What do the Trophy Case and the EyeMartini look like in the mini Browser?
2: What is your Operating System, Look and Feel, and Java version?
3: If you right click on those images in your browser and "open in a new window", are they OK or broken?
1) They look the same in the mini browser as they do in any of the web browsers I've tried. I'd actually completely forgotten the mini browser existed. XD

2) Windows 10, L&F is set to "Always use OS default look and feel", Java version is... hm. I recently installed the JDK 17 binaries to keep using Mafia (and Mafia still WORKS, other than the images looking distorted). Not sure what version is otherwise installed. "About Java" tells me 8 and the Oracle website tells me I need to update no matter how many times I do. <_< Hopefully that's a them problem and not my computer being a computer.

3) They look okay if opened in a new tab. Like they normally did prior to the update. Also fine if I save the image. I mean, I know it's cached on my computer already (and they look fine if I open the image files in Mafia's cache using Irfanview or MSPaint :p), but just covering all my bases. It just seems to be this one place where they look off.

EDIT: Okay folks, sorry, this isn't Mafia. I realized I hadn't tried logging into the game outside of Mafia anytime recently and... d'oh. Same problem, no Mafia.

Well, that's going to make this a lot harder to fix...

Last edited:

ckb

Minion
Staff member
EDIT: Okay folks, sorry, this isn't Mafia. I realized I hadn't tried logging into the game outside of Mafia anytime recently and... d'oh. Same problem, no Mafia.
Well, that's going to make this a lot harder to fix...

What is your display resolution and scaling in Windows? (Right click on desktop, select 'Display Settings')
I have notices that at 125% or 150% sometimes native kol images do not scale perfectly in the browser.
Maybe also check browser scaling.