New Content Item Manager Interface attempts to queue more items than can be pulled

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
The Item Manager GUI needs several updates to work in softcore/Ronin with the "limit of 1 pulled item per day" change from the start of this year. I don't think anyone's working on these, but I'm going to start by making a list, so I make sure I get everything.

1. Usable Items, Food/Booze/Spleen/Potions panels
    1. limit "possible" to a single item pull, unless the item has already been pulled that day.
    2. Do not allow enqueue to add a second item to the queue if it already has a queue requiring a pull
  2. General Items, Storage panel
    1. do not ask how many of an item to pull. It's one. This already works
  3. General Items, Unlimited/free pulls panel
    1. Check them?
  4. Equipment/Storage panel
    1. do not ask how many of an item to pull (or pull & equip). Make this work like general items/storage.
Some other things I have been thinking about...
  1. add budget/pulls left to usable items. see screenshots in comments for current behavior
    1. I frequently have to remember to go to a Storage tab to allow the restores/food/drink/spleen tabs to use items from storage. Make that available in more places.
  2. add a checkbox for "no pull". May be tied to the above. Basically, I sometimes want to save my pulls and it's hard to figure out what combination of no create, turn-free, and no-summon actually get me what I want, which is "anything except pulls, because I'm saving those for pulling rollover items".

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone already working on this?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I thought some of these had been dealt with but I am not running code to confirm my (faulty?) memory. Superficially some of the things you suggest need to be done only apply to softcore while in ronin.

I do know that when I use Storage, while in SC/ronin it does not ask me how many to pull (or it defaults to one which is perhaps a feature requiring me to confirm I want to use a pull) and if I can't pull it it still shows up in storage but has been grey'd out.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The usable panels show items in Storage while you are in-run? Huh. Can't say I EVER noticed that.
General/Storage and Equipment/Storage do that - and have "Budget" and "Pulls Remaining".

I rarely do "Normal" runs, so, "pulls in run" are not a thing. Basically, six times a year, to get the Standard rewards. :)
When I do a Normal run, I know what I want to pull.
Except for consumables; I put those off as long as possible so I will be higher level when it is time to pull/consume.
And, admittedly, it's not exactly easy to figure out which storage consumables are usable by my level and are the "best" for adventures and/or stats.

I think supporting budgeted pulls in-run in Usables (how about Creatable?) is a can of worms. Those issue a UseItemRequest, which does InventoryManager.retrieveItem to get the item into inventory - creating, if necessary and allowed. That NEVER pulls from storage unless you can interact (not Hardcore, out of Ronin).

Honestly, I don't know how you managed to get storage items to show up on the various Usable panels.

Regarding the Storage & Equipment/Storage panels, I could swear that I coded those to pull a max of 1 - and to strike out items you've already pulled today. I originally coded them to not even show you such items, but it was pointed out that you can still select such items and move them to the mall.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
The usable panels show items in Storage while you are in-run? Huh. Can't say I EVER noticed that.
General/Storage and Equipment/Storage do that - and have "Budget" and "Pulls Remaining".

I rarely do "Normal" runs, so, "pulls in run" are not a thing. Basically, six times a year, to get the Standard rewards. :)
When I do a Normal run, I know what I want to pull.
I'm a mutant, but you all knew that... :)
Except for consumables; I put those off as long as possible so I will be higher level when it is time to pull/consume.
And, admittedly, it's not exactly easy to figure out which storage consumables are usable by my level and are the "best" for adventures and/or stats.
In the UI, if you have budgeted pulls, it's almost there. That's how I've been using it for a long time. As long as I'm willing to use pulls, it's exactly what I want, which is a list of the drunks I can pull .With the view of the budgeted pulls, it would be better.

I'm still finishing my last Heavy Rains run, but it seems like it's showing what you have and can pull rather than what you can produce (which would be a very cool feature, but might be too much of a giveaway for new players who want to discover concoctions on their own), and that may make it a smaller lift than you're thinking.

I think supporting budgeted pulls in-run in Usables (how about Creatable?) is a can of worms. Those issue a UseItemRequest, which does InventoryManager.retrieveItem to get the item into inventory - creating, if necessary and allowed. That NEVER pulls from storage unless you can interact (not Hardcore, out of Ronin).
Creatable doesn't have the pulls because createItemPanel doesn't currently seem to be pull-aware. This may be intentional due to the potential size of the list and the time it would take to build it if you dealt with a really large inventory. That's a feature request I am definitely not making at this time. :)
Honestly, I don't know how you managed to get storage items to show up on the various Usable panels.

In case I explained it badly, here's my workflow
1: Item Manager Spleen pane shows 3 things I have in stock.
2: I go to storage and update my budgeted pulls from 0 to 6.
3: Spleen pane now shows, for example "(7 possible, 1 current)" and a bunch of "0 current" items that weren't even possible before.
4: Profit.
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 2.20.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-22 at 2.20.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-22 at 2.20.34 PM.png

Regarding the Storage & Equipment/Storage panels, I could swear that I coded those to pull a max of 1 - and to strike out items you've already pulled today. I originally coded them to not even show you such items, but it was pointed out that you can still select such items and move them to the mall.
I think they do pull 1, and the move to mall works as expected (with 214 from storage to mall, for instance), but the UI for pull pops up a dialog asking how many to pull. We can streamline this because it's 1. Maybe the button should say "pull 1 item" and not request a quantity

Update: Storage pulls one without asking how many, but Equipment/Storage will offer a larger number:
Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 2.25.42 PM.png

Last edited:

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
and looking at mine more closely after I ascended and pulled everything, it seems to suggest concoctions I do not have in inventory, so it must be planning on making them. I don't know if it's uggeting all +8 adv booze or just the ones I know, but I'll look into it as well.
1653356441551.png