Is there a way to control how big mafia's window will be when it pops up?

This is something that has annoyed me for years, I'm not sure why I'm only now posting about it. Whenever I log in with Mafia, once the login screen disappears and the interface for a character pops up, the window is always so tall that the bottom is obscured by the taskbar. Thus I need to resize the window basically every time I login, otherwise I can't see what I'm entering into the CLI for instance. Is there a way to change this?

Sarmatron

Holy shit, I came here to make this thread. Like, identical lead sentence and everything. Thanks, Winterbay!

Bale

Minion
Like, identical lead sentence and everything.

Not good. Here's a tip to both of you. On this forum, the "a" word is a terrible curse that should not be uttered in any of its permutations. It is the only word starting with "a" in the lead sentence so you can find it there. Don't type it. Deathless Assassin was very lucky to have gotten away with it.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Not good. Here's a tip to both of you. On this forum, the "a" word is a terrible curse that should not be uttered in any of its permutations. It is the only word starting with "a" in the lead sentence so you can find it there. Don't type it. Deathless Assassin was very lucky to have gotten away with it.

I have the vague recollection that I implemented set rememberDesktopSize = true because the a word accurately described my feelings. But as a dev with the power, ability and perhaps even obligation, to do something I can be forgiven ;-)

Razorsoup

Is there a similar option for position? Mafia correctly remembers the size but opens the window centered to my screen. Also, I have mafia set to open chat in a separate window. Is there an option to remember the size and position of that window?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Is there a similar option for position? Mafia correctly remembers the size but opens the window centered to my screen. Also, I have mafia set to open chat in a separate window. Is there an option to remember the size and position of that window?

I don't think so. Mafia remembers a lot of position information already. I think they are user preferences ending with "Frame". I don't see Chat, so this may be a new Feature Request as far as chat goes. My desktop does open in the same place so long as I am always running from the same computer.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't think so. Mafia remembers a lot of position information already. I think they are user preferences ending with "Frame". I don't see Chat, so this may be a new Feature Request as far as chat goes. My desktop does open in the same place so long as I am always running from the same computer.

Those settings don't exist until you have a window open with a position to save, so if you've never had chat as a separate window you shouldn't see a setting for it. If you do have chat as a separate window and don't have that setting, then that seems strange.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Those settings don't exist until you have a window open with a position to save, so if you've never had chat as a separate window you shouldn't see a setting for it. If you do have chat as a separate window and don't have that setting, then that seems strange.

That explains why I didn't see it then.

Razorsoup

Mafia seems to be remembering the chat window's position but not size and the main window's size but not position. So I'm halfway to where I want to be.
Here are the relevant settings from my prefs file:
Code:
BuffRequestFrame=586,219
CakeArenaFrame=649,343
CalendarFrame=479,307,1
CharSheetFrame=802,218,-1
CoinmastersFrame=536,320,-1
ContactListFrame=661,268
CouncilFrame=636,323,-1
DescriptionFrame=636,323,-1
FamiliarTrainingFrame=502,240
ItemManageFrame=302,320,-1