Internal database files

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That's the version number. If we change the format or change how a field is interpreted, such that an old version of KoLmafia can no longer parse the new file, we bump the version number and old versions of KoLmafia ignore new files. Or, for that matter, if you have an old version of the file sitting in your data directory, KoLmafia will ignore it if it expects a newer version of the file.

(I am bemused that you might imagine that we'd have unintentional data in our data files - although somebody actually submitted a bug report on sourceforge because an "unnecessary '1' was inserted at the beginning of each data file by revision xxx" - when revision xxx's comment said "add version numbers to all the data files." Sheesh.)

I missed that change, but it is very useful! I have been looking for a way to address the potential for a change to the data structure kolmafia uses, and with this change applications I have written can also detect the change with a few quick changes to the core.

I use Kolmafia's Database because it is well maintained...better maintained than I could ever dream of.

Thanks for the clarification!