how to adv?

Long time user, but for some reason I've never really tried adventuring from the CLI.
Now that I want to... I can't for the life of me figure out how.

the help is pretty confusing.
"adv*[?] last | [count] location - spend your turns." with count and location in italics.
Now, judging from other helps, italics mean "fill in this" and the pipe is the familiar "or".

I'm trying something as simple as "spend the rest of my turns in the same place I've been adventuring."
adv [*] last
Nope.
adv [0] last
Nope.
adv last works, for 1 turn.
"adv 10 last" does nothing, as does "adv [10] last"
So I started putting the number afterwards. Still getting nothing.
Halp?
Also, loooots of "Unexpected error, debug log printed" instead of errors being caught.

Theraze

The * means you can write whatever you want, I believe... adventsdafasdfkljasdf last should do one adventure in last zone. If you wanted. To make it repeat, you'd probably need to do something like...
ashq while (my_adventures() > 0) (!CLI_EXECUTE("adv last"));
As it says, to do multiple adventures, you have the give a specific location, not just use last.

Okay, I figured to do multiple adventures I'd have to be explicit with my command. I just was out of adventures at that point to try.
And yes, you're right about the * thing, which is explained, but I don't remember seeing it ever state that tidbit about not mixing last with a number.
But... what's that [?] about?

matt.chugg

Square brackets [ ] enclose optional elements of commands. In command descriptions, they may also enclose the effects of using those optional elements.

Vertical bars | separate alternative elements - choose any one. (But note that || is an actual part of a few commands.)

An ellipsis ... after an element means that it can be repeated as many times as needed.

Elements in italics are placeholders - replace them with an actual name you want the command to operate on.

Commands with an asterisk * after the name are abbreviations - you can type them in a longer form if desired.

Some command names can be followed by a question mark (shown as [?] ), in which case the command will just display what it would do, rather than actually doing it.

When adventuring, or using an item or skill, the name can be preceded by a number specifying how many times to do it. An asterisk in place of this number means "as many as possible" or "the current quantity in inventory", depending on context. Negative numbers mean to do that many less than the maximum.

http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=CLI_Reference

xKiv

adv [*] last

You are familiar with "A | B" for "A or B", but you aren't familiar with "[A]" for "optionally, A" (i.o.w. "A or nothing")?
(I am assuming you typed literal [*] there)

The * there means (in this case) "all remaining adventures".
The ? means, I assume, "don't actually do this, just print what would happen - but that's a guess.

If I can believe the help text, "adv 10 last" won't work because last only supports "adv last" and "adv * last" ... and count is only supported with explicit location?

Theraze

and "adv * last" ... and count is only supported with explicit location?
No to this... the count in this example is */all. Last does not support count, by that helpfile.

The * in adv* is, as Matt said, saying that adv can include whatever text makes you happy after adv. Want to adventure with advthisismyadventurecommand last? Go for it. Have fun. Want to adventure with advandthisiswaymorework * giant? Sure, that works... you gave it a specific location. But you can't use *, because as you said... * means all remaining adventures. That's a count. Which is not supported by last.

You are familiar with "A | B" for "A or B", but you aren't familiar with "[A]" for "optionally, A" (i.o.w. "A or nothing")?
(I am assuming you typed literal [*] there)

I am familiar with what the various syntax means. I just didn't know that last didn't support a count. And when I tried "adv ? last" I didn't get any text, as described here.

> adv ? last

Unexpected error, debug log printed.
? last does not exist in the adventure database.

xKiv

Oh derp.
No space between the adv and the * or the ? ...
Important detail to notice!

Theraze

The * means all, the ? means speculative/information. Same as maximize? 4 clownosity telling you if you can get to 4 clownosity without actually doing any equipment swapping. :)