Bug - Fixed Hermit haxored, no worthless item in inventory: permit purchase?!

Ruby Eyes

So I have that old guy hax0red. Yay! I did not use mafia when I did that though (can't use it at work).

I used up my worthless items, so have zero of those in my inventory (not sure if this is relevant here).
I have no hermit permits in my inventory (since I have no need for them anymore).
In my preferences, I have automatic purchases from NPCs deactivated.

I'm at home, logged in via mafia, I click on the hermit, and mafia buys a hermit permit.
1. Mafia obviously is not checking my "other accomplishments" but I suppose that would only prolong the log-in process.
2. It is not respecting my setting regarding NPC purchases. This is what's bugging me - I don't have meat to waste in HC.

I was using v14.6 r9532 when this happened, and don't have a character in a state right now to test this with the most current version (and looking at my slow progress, won't have one for quite a while). So if this was already fix0red, please tell me. Sifting through the revision posts was not successful.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm at home, logged in via mafia, I click on the hermit, and mafia buys a hermit permit.
1. Mafia obviously is not checking my "other accomplishments" but I suppose that would only prolong the log-in process.
It already visits the Quest Log on login. Where, exactly, does it mention that you've hax0red the hermit?

2. It is not respecting my setting regarding NPC purchases. This is what's bugging me - I don't have meat to waste in HC.
This is intentional. Since visiting the Hermit in the Relay Browser is, essentially, a "command" from the user - like typing "buy" in the gCLI - it ignores autosatisfyWithNPCs - just as "buy" doesn't look at autosatisfyWithMall. This bug report changed it to work that way.

Ruby Eyes

Ok, I misremembered that part: "You have summoned the UB3r 31337 HaX0R."

I suppose the only way to force this thing to respect my will is to not use mafia?!

Look, it's buying a hermit permit. It's NOT buying (and using) a chewing-gum on a string before that (or after that, for that matter) because I still get the message that I don't have any worthless items. This is incomplete either way: Either have it do both, or none of them. However, I want it to do NONE of them when I've set my settings to not buy anything. That's what this setting is for, no?

Additionally, the bug report you linked was for the link to purchase a hermit permit not working. What does simply having to click (or even just misclick) the hermitage to do with that?

Theraze

The preference will make it not do that automatically... if you tell it that you want it to do it, you've told it to do it. It's up to you to not use the command if you don't want it to work...

Ruby Eyes

The preference will make it not do that automatically... if you tell it that you want it to do it, you've told it to do it. It's up to you to not use the command if you don't want it to work...

I happen to misclick on that hermitage every now and then on my way to the mine. That does NOT mean that I want mafia to buy a hermit permit for me, it especially does not mean that when I have my preferences set to NOT PURCHASE from NPC stores.

To make it extra-clear:

There is the hermitage, a game-provided link.

There can be 2 additional links: Added by mafia, to purchase items.

I clicked the game-provided link only, I did NOT click any mafia-provided command links. As long as I do not do that, I do not want mafia to purchase anything for me.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9615 looks in your quest log and sets the appropriate property if you've Hax0red the hermit.

Regarding automatically buying a permit when you click on the Hermit, OK, that is different than automatically buying a permit when you are visiting the Hermit and he sees you have no permits. I do see that the Relay Browser does change the image of the hermit to set "autopermit=on".

I agree that is unnecessary and even undesirable; if we didn't do that, it would prompt you for worthless items and permits.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9616 makes the Relay Browser not change the link for the Hermitage to have autopermit=on; you can clock on the Hermitage and be told you need a permit - and THEN click on the "buy a permit" link.

Terion

Ok, I misremembered that part: "You have summoned the UB3r 31337 HaX0R."

Revision 9615 looks in your quest log and sets the appropriate property if you've Hax0red the hermit.

Um... question. Isn't that line from Other Accomplishments the one that indicates you've used the 31337 scroll for the first time (which results in you getting the stat script and the hermit script)? I don't believe there is any notification in the Quest Log that notes whether you've used the hermit script; as far as I'm aware, the only notification of his hacked state is the response when you trade a worthless item: "You make a trade with the Hermit. He looks confused for a moment. "I already took your Hermit Permits, right?""

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Yup. I investigated this before submitting that code.

We look at the hermitHax0red property in these circumstances:

- If you are visiting the hermitage with autopermit=on, if that setting is false, we will buy a hermit permit first
- If we invoke a HermitRequest and the hermit would not see us and that setting is false, we buy a hermit permit and try again.

That's it.

The only remaining circumstances where you have autopermit=on are the use link for acquiring dingy plans in the relay browser, and visiting the hermitage in the relay browser, getting rebuffed, and having a "buy permit" use link. In both cases, if that setting is true and you click the use link, we will not buy a permit and you will get rebuffed again.

Hopefully that will remind you to use your hermit script.

I suppose we could make the use link be "use hermit script" instead of "buy hermit permit" if you happen to have a hermit script in inventory.
I suppose that autopermit=on could mean "use hermit script, if available, or buy a permit"

In the second case, when we run a HermitRequest, before actually submitting the request, if you have a hermit script in inventory, we use it. Therefore, you will never be rebuffed for not having a hermit permit.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9623 does those tweaks:

If you visit the hermit with autopermit=on, if you have a hermit script, we will read it for you, otherwise if we think he's not been hax0red, we buy a permit.
The use links you get when you get rebuffed for not having a permit now say "use your hermit script" rather than "buy a hermit permit", if you happen to have the script in inventory.