Bug - Fixed fistSkillsKnown is less meaningful than it should be

Bale

Minion
fistSkillsKnown is the preference that stores the number of Fist Skills that are known. This is a useful preference to have since the number of skills known controls the effect of most, if not all, of these skills.

Unfortunately the preference stores the total number of skills know, but the necessary value is the number of scrolls that were read in the current ascension. Currently these numbers become different when the 11th skill is made permanent. Even if you made the final skill permanent, it does not improve the effect of any of the skills until you read the 11th scroll.

Please count the number of scrolls used in the current ascension and store it in fistSkillsKnown.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The code from UseItemRequest.java is
Code:
		case ItemPool.TEACHINGS_OF_THE_FIST:
			// You learn a different skill from each scroll
			Preferences.increment( "fistSkillsKnown", 1 );
			ResponseTextParser.learnSkillFromResponse( responseText );
			return;
So it should just be based on the number of scrolls used as you suggested... actually, ValhallaManager.java has
Code:
		Preferences.setInteger( "fistSkillsKnown",
					KoLCharacter.hasSkill( "Master of the Surprising Fist" ) ?
					1 : 0 );
Which should just set it to 0 no matter what, which would satisfy this bug report (feature request?).

However, I'm getting
Code:
> get fistSkillsKnown

I have freed the king, so I'm sure I used 5 of the scrolls (and I did everything in mafia). I have the 11th skill permed. I guess I'll watch that next run.

Bale

Minion
I just learned Worldpunch and have previously permed Master of the Surprising Fist

Code:
> get fistSkillsKnown

That is what you have expected. It's not the best answer, but mafia is behaving as intended.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Even if you made the final skill permanent, it does not improve the effect of any of the skills until you read the 11th scroll.
Emphasis mine.

Are you sure about that? The Wiki, which we all know is 100% accurate, says "Permed Master of the Surprising Fist does not add to the duration of Miyagi Massage or Salamander Kata." Other skills which depend on number of Fist skills known include World Punch, Knuckle Sandwich, Seven-Finger Strike, and Zendo Kobuchi Kansho. The Wiki is silent about whether the permed Master of the Stunning Fist helps those or not. By its silence, one might suspect that it does help them. It's easy enough to test one of them, at least:

> get fistSkillsKnown

> cast 1 WorldPunch

Casting Worldpunch 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Earthen Fist (duration: 5 Adventures)
Worldpunch was successfully cast.
Well, it looks like the Wiki might not be 100% accurate after all. ;)

This counter was implemented before anybody had permed Master of the Stunning Fist and before, therefore, anybody knew exactly what doing so would give you.

Given that, lost's change to ValhallaManager looks correct.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
ValhallaManager resets fistSkillsKnown to 0 when you jump the gash and then, possibly, sets it to 1 after you ascend and it can tell if you have Master of the Surprising Fist permed. Revision 9763 removes that second set.

Bale

Minion
Thanks Veracity. I was actually going by discussion on various forums, not the wiki and hadn't noticed its failure. Since you found a flaw I edited the wiki to improve it to 100% accuracy as it should be. :) ;)