Feature - Implemented Don't display status messages in chat window

Theraze

Not sure since I don't use chat, but would this FReq be met by either enabling Ignore event messages in KoLmafia chat, enabling Add a graphical CLI to tabbed chat, or disabling Integrate chat and relay browser gCLI interfaces?

stannius

Not sure since I don't use chat, but would this FReq be met by either enabling Ignore event messages in KoLmafia chat, enabling Add a graphical CLI to tabbed chat, or disabling Integrate chat and relay browser gCLI interfaces?

Ignore event messages sounds promising, but doesn't seem to do what I am after (at least not for world peace messages). I'm not sure what it does though so maybe it does everything but world peace. Neither of the other two seems specifically relevant (I couldn't find the third but it sounds like it's a subset of the second).

Bale

Minion
Actually, I'd like an event message window. That way I'd get the event messages, but I wouldn't have to see them in every single channel window.

Winterbay

Cool. That will make spamming Esc for aborting scripts in a panic a lot less annoying since you can still see what has happened in chat :)

Could you make it so the messages for shutting down in X minutes still display in every channel? That's fairly useful to see right away. Sometimes you don't have a lot of options other than to do your turns close to rollover, and seeing that countdown lets you know to hurry up and get stuff down already.

Possibly system messages in general? That way you'd see it right away when it announces new updates and such.

holatuwol

Developer
Anything that comes from "System Message" is grouped together with moderator warnings, and so it's not considered an 'event' (just a regular chat message). However, rollover warnings might be considered regular events... it's been a long time since I've been in chat around rollover, so I have no idea if they appear as green messages or if they come from "System Message".

Here's the html of my events chat log from just before rollover
Code:
<html><head>
<title>
[events]
</title>
<style>
body { font-family: sans-serif; font-size: small; } a { color: black; text-decoration: none; } a.error { color: red; text-decoration: underline }
</style>
<body>
<font color="#7695B4">[18:23]</font> <font color=green><a target=mainpane href='showplayer.php?who=614255'><b>GoldS</b></a> logged on.</font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[18:59]</font> <font color=green><a target=mainpane href='showplayer.php?who=1179373'><b>NardoLoopa</b></a> logged on.</font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[19:32]</font> <font color=green><a target=mainpane href='showplayer.php?who=773740'><b>Raccoon</b></a> logged on.</font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[19:35]</font> <font color=green><a target=mainpane href='showplayer.php?who=1014085'><b>Prestige</b></a> logged on.</font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[19:43]</font> <font color=green><a target=mainpane href='showplayer.php?who=1729390'><b>stupac2</b></a> logged on.</font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[19:44]</font> <font color=green><a target=mainpane href='showplayer.php?who=1014085'><b>Prestige</b></a> logged off.</font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[20:12]</font> <font color=green><b><b><a target=mainpane href="showplayer.php?who=-1">System Message</a></b>: The system will go down for nightly maintenance in 15 minutes.</b></font><br>
<font color="#7695B4">[20:17]</font> <font color=green><b><b><a target=mainpane href="showplayer.php?who=-1">System Message</a></b>: The system will go down for nightly maintenance in 10 minutes.</b></font><br>

I'm starting to dislike this feature.

I do a /count command, or a /whois, etc., and the results appear in events, forcing me to switch tabs when I'd really rather just stay where I am.

Can I have the ever-popular "option to disable" this, please? Or make it so only Mafia-generated messages go in the events tab. I'm finding a lot of things are going into that tab that I really want to appear in whatever channel I happen to be looking at.

Winterbay

Which version of mafia are you using? The one I have (r9744) posts /whois and /count and so on in all tabs (and twice in the event tab because I forgot to update before I started today, r9745 should've fixed that), so if you do not see it in the normal window I think the version umber is rather important.

I thought I was in 9744 or higher, but seems I'm still in 9742. I'll try that, then.

EDIT: Okay, that's fixed count at least, so I'll just assume that I've found nothing about this feature that particularly bothers me now until further notice.

Last edited:
I didn't quite understand hola's statement about "hidden options window" (which I interpreted to be a reference to preferences that don't appear in the Preferences interface) but I wouldn't hate to see an option to completely disable the [events] tab.

I'm not sure how things are being split up right now, but originally the request was to move certain things out of chat proper. Then you moved stuff back.
So that leaves me thinking that everything is still going everywhere, the only change now is that non-chat has its own window as well as appearing amid the actual chat.

Everything that was appearing in chat before was appearing there for a reason, and I like it being where I can read it without changing tabs. When I am in mafia and not relaying, I find the extra [events] tab to be bothersome (as I feel strong urges to keep it "checked" and if every little /who and /count turns it orange it gets to be quite frustrating) and it doesn't contain any new information... it's all the same stuff that appeared in my main chat frame.

So, getting the old behavior back before this was implemented in any way would be nice for at least a few users.

ALSO, slightly related, not sure if it's worthy of its own thread, could a /w be propagated not to ALL frames, but rather just the frame for which the request is returning information (and [events] for those of us with it turned on, assuming the option to disable it is granted)?

Winterbay

"Mafia declares world peace" and "Please click here to continue in the relay browser" are now only showed in the "Events" tab which is perfect for me since they no longer clog up the chat tabs and disturb the conversations. Since I sometimes feel the urge to press Esc several times in a row it could even happen before that the entire chat window got filled with those messages and not having that happen is even better :)

Since I'm not using chat commands at all I won't comment on that part.

stannius

It does (last I saw) open the "[events]" tab just to show e.g. "<contact> logged in." messages. However I am certainly not going to quibble.

holatuwol

Developer
(as I feel strong urges to keep it "checked" and if every little /who and /count turns it orange it gets to be quite frustrating) and it doesn't contain any new information... it's all the same stuff that appeared in my main chat frame.
I haven't been convinced (yet) that an option of any sort should be added, but I can see where this would get bothersome, so 9767 doesn't highlight the tab if it's something that would get broadcasted everywhere else.