Bug - Not A Bug CLI said "learned new skill", not showing up at Permery

postulant

Hi. Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a quick search and overlooked it if it has.

I used the Autobiography of DS Jones through Inventory, and the CLI said "You learned a new skill: Kung Fu Hustler". I ascend, and, you guessed it (or read the thread title), it's not showing up at Jeremy's Permery. Logged out through Mafia and back in through kingdomofloathing.com, and it's still not available as a permable skill.

I'm not mad; I've taken too much pleasure out of Mafia to really do much but shrug and go another DB run, but is there something I overlooked? The obvious response is "do critical things like this through the relay browser to be sure". But I'd like more informed feedback, please.

thank you.

PS Don't know if this is a "bug" per se, but couldn't see where else to put this.

xKiv

Are you postulant in KoL too?
Can you check if you have the autobiography item, or the (used) version, in your possession (hagnk's, ...)? (and which one you had before?)
When was this? (also relative to breaking prism, some things might only show in the )
What type of ascension (unless it was well after breaking prism - at least one restart of kolmafia, which probably means at least the next day)?
Was it the first time you used the book?
Are you really really sure you had enough karma left when you were looking? (probably yes, otherwise you would notice other skills missing too, right?)

I am (uneducatedly, and wildly) guessing what you are reporting is that you were in a trendy ascension, using the autobiography failed, but mafia still thought it gave you the skill.
Unless you really got the skill but KoL somehow forgot about it.
Or you had it but did something that prevented you from perming it (like having it (hardcore) permed before, but then going in ascension that "forgets" old skills which can let you "learn" then again during that ascension (until you remember them again))

roippi

Developer
mafia prints that message when it gets a response from KoL that matches one of two patterns:

Code:
    private static final Pattern NEWSKILL1_PATTERN =
            Pattern.compile( "<td>You (have learned|learn) a new skill: <b>(.*?)</b>" );

private static final Pattern NEWSKILL3_PATTERN =
        Pattern.compile( "You (?:gain|acquire) a skill:.*?<[bB]>(?:<a[^>]*>)?(.*?)(?:</a>)?</[bB]>" );

So KoL did in fact tell you that you learned the skill, and one of the above patterns detected which skill it was. I don't know what to tell you, the only thing I can think of is that you had insufficient Karma to perm it.

postulant

I am (uneducatedly, and wildly) guessing what you are reporting is that you were in a trendy ascension

Wow. Yes, that was it. It was after prism-break, so I assumed the challenge-path restrictions would have been lifted, in the same way you can't collect Teachings of the Fist after prism-break, and I don't think wandering Bees still showed up, and.... :(

Nice job!!!! :D (and thanks)

using the autobiography failed, but mafia still thought it gave you the skill.
Please nobody take this as me wanting to still bitch about something, but I wish there was a way Mafia wouldn't do this? May be a coding nightmare, which I'd assume, since it hasn't been done already. Appreciation again to all Mafia devs.

Edit: as to be expected:
Can you check if you have the autobiography item, or the (used) version, in your possession (hagnk's, ...)? (and which one you had before?)
I do, it's unused, and was unused previously.

and, perhaps added unnecessarily, wanted to update and say:
the only thing I can think of is that you had insufficient Karma to perm it.
(I did, but problem found, above. just posting this in case anyone was curious about /every eventuality as to what might have happened.

PS yes, postulant in-game :)

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
Well, like I said, KoL really did tell you that you gained the skill. Sounds like a KoL bug.

xKiv

Hmm. Wiki talk page says there was "{{bug|December 25: It seems to be impossible to perm untrendy skills after a Trendy run. Bug has been reported}}", quoted by ElroyJetson who "was able to perm Stringozzi Serpent following a HC-Trendy run and so removed the bug tag below from the main page". Maybe the bug was only partially fixed (or it's a different similar bug?)

postulant

Just submitted a bug report. It was a SC run, so something /could have been overlooked? Will report.

ETA:

"This is a long-standing issue with Trendy, yeah ... I thought it was resolved, but perhaps not. I'll have the admins peek at it when they're not building the new challenge path :)

Thanks,

--Gem"

Last edited: