Feature CCS steal should pickpocket (almost) always

ckb

Minion
Staff member
From the CCS User Manual:
steal
Attempt to pick the monster's pocket, assuming that you're capable of doing so, and the monster has at least one known pickpocketable item drop (that isn't guaranteed to drop anyway, due to your item drop bonus). This action will be skipped if KoLmafia thinks the monster will seriously hurt you, unless it drops an item in your current goals.

Now that there is a KOL tracking of # of pickpocketed items, and you need to reach a certain threshold for some Valhalla rewards, can we eliminate the "isn't guaranteed to drop anyway, due to your item drop bonus" restriction on stealing?

I believe this was done to save on server hits, but with maco-ified combat this should not matter any more. There are advantages to always pickpocketing.

ckb

Note: for those that are reading this and want a workaround, changing the CCS command from steal to the macro command "pickpocket" (with quotes) will force pickpocketing every time.

Theraze

Since there's a workaround for those who want to force it, and eventually you're going to hit the amount of pickpockets needed if you just keep ascending, does it really make sense to degrade mafia's combat intelligence?

You might get hit, you might have needed that extra round for damage if you're just barely going to kill the mob, you might have... who knows?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Sorry if I was unclear - I am not asking to change pickpocketing for the case that KoLmafia thinks the monster will seriously hurt you, ONLY for the case that all items are already guarenteed to drop. AFAIK, there would be no readon NOT to pickpocket. And I am all for inflating my achievements.

ckb

Theraze

So in that case, why not just use "pickpocket" as you said? After you have the achievement, all forcing an extra steal will do is waste a turn. You're getting the item anyways...