Build fails after r20764

Ethelred

I tried to build a new version yesterday and the build is failing. This is part of my build log:

Code:
update:
     [exec] Updating '.':
     [exec] Skipped 'src/data/defaults.txt' -- Node remains in conflict
     [exec] At revision 20779.
     [exec] Summary of conflicts:
     [exec]   Skipped paths: 1

svn-version:

gitsvn-version:

version:
     [echo] Current revision: 20764:20779M

daily:

svn-version:

gitsvn-version:

version:
     [echo] Current revision: 20764:20779M

I have no idea what happened or how to fix it. Thanks, in advance, for any tips/suggestions on how to solve the problem. If more info is needed, please let me know what it is, and probably how to get it. I seem to be out of my depth here.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Did you modify defaults.txt?

20766 added quantumPoints. If you also added it, but not exactly like gausie, or not in the same place, you could end up with a conflict. svn will try to merge it, but will be only work right 95% of the time. Probably your best bet is to svn revert the change, unless you have other defaults you're adding.

From the command line, resolve via svn resolve (red book description) from your IDE (VSCode, IntelliJ, Eclipse, etc) follow your IDE instructions for resolving merge conflicts.

Ethelred

Ok, here's the result I'm getting. I don't remember ever making any local changes to defaults.txt, but then again, this has been building for over 12 years now, so who knows? I'd just like to get it resolved. Suggestions please? And thanks again for the help.

Code:
art(143)$svn resolve
Merge conflict discovered in file 'src/data/defaults.txt'.
Select: (p) Postpone, (df) Show diff, (e) Edit file, (m) Merge,
        (s) Show all options: df
--- src/data/defaults.txt.r20764    - THEIRS
+++ src/data/defaults.txt    - MERGED
@@ -88,12 +88,16 @@
 global    logGainMessages    true
 global    logReadableHTML    false
 global    logPreferenceChange    false
+<<<<<<< .mine
+||||||| .r20750
+global    loginScript
+=======
 global    logPreferenceChangeFilter
 global    loginScript
+>>>>>>> .r20764
 global    loginServerName
 global    loginWindowLogo    lantern.gif
 global    logMonsterHealth    true
-global    logoutScript
 global    logReverseOrder    false
 global    logStatGains    true
 global    logStatusEffects    true
@@ -878,6 +882,8 @@
 user    lockPicked    false
 user    loginRecoveryHardcore    false
 user    loginRecoverySoftcore    true
+user    loginScript
+user    logoutScript
 user    longConMonster    
 user    louvreDesiredGoal    7
 user    louvreGoal    0
Select: (p) Postpone, (df) Show diff, (e) Edit file, (m) Merge,
        (r) Mark as resolved, (s) Show all options:

MCroft

Developer
Staff member

I'd merge with the tf option. You don't want anything except the version from source control.

svn resolve --accept theirs-full CONFLICTED-PATH

Ethelred

Ok, reran svn resolve and selected the tf option and that seemed to clear up the problem. I'm back on the air. Thanks a heap for your help, MCroft.

Ethelred

It looks like fixing this bunged up my automation script settings. I used to have at least loginScript and logoutScript set to user instead of global preferences. Perhaps others were as well and I just haven't tracked them down yet. Anyhow, now they have reverted to global prefs and it's screwing up switching between my chars. I'd like to change them back, but over the years, I've forgetten how to make local changes to my mafia builds. Can someone point me to a refresher on that. I remember it involved making changes to some "shadow" (for want of a better term) files, rather than the ones I've checked out from Sourceforge, but that's all I can come up with. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, as usual, in advance.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I am not sure how that happened. Can you check both GLOBAL.prefs and <character> prefs ( in “settings”) for loginScript=<something> values?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
By default the login script is a global value. The folks who are unwilling or unable to maintain their own build of mafia to change that tend to have a logion script that branches on the name of the character running it. That has worked well for me because most of my login script is common to all characters so I only have to change the common code in one place. This is also the place to set user values that you want to be the same for all users. This scheme has the advantage that changes to defaults.txt are less likely to break your scripts and environment.

But to try and get back to where you were....

The SVN based process for local builds is sort of documented so if my answer is not helpful you can try searching.

Basically you check out mafia into your local repository, edit mafia files with changes you want locally, and then build. It seems like you did this once and SVN didn't do very well in merging your changes with official changes to defaults.txt.

The first post suggests to me some of the changes you made, so I would get a clean copy of the official defaults.txt and then edit it with the desired changes. Before building and running mafia, I would review and if necessary edit the global and character preferences manually in the settings directory. You are basically looking for preferences that are in a global and user file and either have moved to the other or have a value that is not the (local) default.

Hopefully that helps.

Ethelred

[...]

But to try and get back to where you were....

The SVN based process for local builds is sort of documented so if my answer is not helpful you can try searching.
Yeah, that documentation is what I'm having trouble finding. Do you have a link handy?
Basically you check out mafia into your local repository, edit mafia files with changes you want locally, and then build. It seems like you did this once and SVN didn't do very well in merging your changes with official changes to defaults.txt.
Yes, I think I lost my local changes when I encountered the problem above. Those changes were made a long time ago and I don't really remember all of them. Also I have some vague memory of their being 2 copies of the files around and I was supposed to edit one, but not the other. Does that ring any bells? Any chance you could help refresh my memory there?

The first post suggests to me some of the changes you made, so I would get a clean copy of the official defaults.txt and then edit it with the desired changes. Before building and running mafia, I would review and if necessary edit the global and character preferences manually in the settings directory. You are basically looking for preferences that are in a global and user file and either have moved to the other or have a value that is not the (local) default.

Hopefully that helps.
Thanks for your help and your reply. I think I'm on the right track, just having trouble remembering a couple of the details I need to get there.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This is one link

Not sure what else to add but I'm sure that's not complete.

My hypothesis is that you were building your own version and your local changes involved making some globals local and visa versa. That was done in defaults.txt and your local changes were trampled by KoL updates. I thi k you have what you need to redo that but if I am wrong we can continue to help...